big surprise at local lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by striker52, Feb 11, 2008.

1. striker52

striker52 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Zack (arojekt) myself and a friend of ours headed out this last Saturday evening at our local lake armed with worms, rods, and a cast net. We wanted to net some small bait fish to go for some small catfish that we knew were in there but try as we might we just couldn't net a thing. We knew we had enough worms to last us a while so we just gave up on the net and got fishing. A couple of hours passed with no luck, with the sun going down and the wind starting to pick up the fish finally started to bite. At first just nibbles nothing solid but it was enough to get us fired up. After about 10min of little nibbles and jerks a fish destroyed my bait and ran with the hook, I didn't even have to set it the fish did all the work. When we got him out the water he was only around a pound or so but it had put up a good fight and i was just glad to catch something.

Another 10 or so minutes ticked by and then i got another insane bite and as i was reeling it in when Zack hooked one up we got em both in mine just a little bull head, and Zack pulled out a small channel cat. I passed my rod to our friend Alex to hold while i brought in my other line i had out. I started reeling it in when when all of a sudden it got real heavy and started slowly going back in forth in the water not enough to be a fish but i brought it in hard just in case, when i had it in about 5ft from the dock i saw what looked like a snake come to the surface and flipped out because the last thing i wanted to deal with was a water moccasin in the middle of the dark, but once we had it under a near by street light we saw that it was in fact a fresh water eel. It was around 1'8" and made great bait once we had finally cut it up, those suckers have insanely tough skin. After we had all the lines rigged back up just a few more minutes went by when Zack hooked up again this time on a small mouth bass while he had been using eel for bait. This amazed all of us because none of us thought that a small mouth would go after cut bait let alone cut eel.

While Zack and I were dealing with the small mouth Alex hooks up and starts yelling for one of us to get the net quick, I just thought he was BSin but when i saw his rod bend and jerk i knew he had a decent fish on his hands when we got him in the net it turned out he was a big blue a few inches over two feet and weighed a bit over a 5 1/2lbs. which is pretty huge for the small lake we were at. We caught basically one of everything in that lake that is worth catching and that big blue sure did taste good on the grill with Alex's recipe.

i just thought i would share this odd night of fishing with all you guys at the B.O.C
    Nick.

2. striker52

striker52 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I messed up and posted this in the wrong section if an admin could move this too the NC lakes section i would appreciate it, sorry for the mistake.

3. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Sounds like a fun night of fishing.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks for the report Nick, sounds like a fun evening/night fishing :cool2:.

5. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Personally, I never thought that anything healthy could come out of the Lochmere Dock Lake in Cary. We all live within a good 5 minute or under drive from it. We did a lot of fishing in the past, caught many, various, and odd things there, but the way the people treat the lake, I wouldn't be surprised if something... unnatural resided in the water. People don't take care of the water there, and although we try to pull out as much crap as we see on the docks, in the water, and on the ground, we're just out beat by the the people that destroy the great area.

That night, we caught more bullheads then anything, which also surprised me, because I hadn't seen a bullhead there before, except for one night where we only landed one fish and it was Nick's at about 9 PM.

If any one else here fish in the Lochmere Lakes, I have a question from all three of us, are there any shad in that lake? We've seen bream, we've used them before... but we've never netted or even seen shad in that lake...

Thanks.

6. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    a few years ago. The lake has Channels and Bullheads. There are some really big Channels in there. He showed me a few pictures and one was right at 12 pounds. The best bait according to him was live bream and cut bream.

That is strange about the eel. They do hole up in ponds and lakes sometimes but they leave someday to head back to the ocean. I think Eels are part devil. I hate messing with them I swear they never die. Don't worry about water moccasins...they don't live here. To find one in Wake County you need to be around Wendell and even then they are hard to find.

I would bet that lake has a lot of floating mats of money....you could try fishing under them....:smile2:

7. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    You'd actually be surprised at the amount of moccasins up here... Although very few in Lochmere Lake One (the one with the docks), Lochmere Lake Two (with the walk-around path) has many. I have come to believe it's due to the rocks that are used to hold up the land on the bank and shores around the entire place. I think they kind of attract snakes because it gives them a place to hole up.

8. j simpson

j simpson New Member

State:
    nc
    The snakes in this area people mistake for water m. are what they call common water snakes and are not poisonous. Jeff

9. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like you guys had a good night!

10. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    sounds like a good time.

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    my brother in law (bronco 67)used to fish that lake allot when he was growing up...he lived about 10 minutes from there. there are huge large mouth bass in that lake...didn't think there were any small mouth bass in there..or blues...have you ever caught a white cat???

white cats are often confused with blues...

i have fished it a handful of times mainly catching the monster sized bream for cape fear rive flatheads...

don't know if you have seen on the news but that lake as well as johnson all had fish kills last year...this effected the small fish..not the bass...i remember seeing pictures of dead threadfin shad...so i would say they were there but they probably are micro theadfins and probably not in any great number...

12. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Eels are some of the best bait you can find! I intentionally put a line out with shrimp and a smaller hook trying to catch eels when I go. Of course shrimp catches cats too!

13. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    That'll keep ya goin back...