Big Sturgeon Moving up the Columbia River

Discussion in 'OREGON RIVER TALK' started by shortshank, May 15, 2006.

1. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Well guys the big boys are comming to town. I've talked to a couple of the local guides here in Portland and they feel some of the huge Sturgeon have left Astoria Bay and began their journey up the Columbia River. They make their assumption based on catching some keeper size Sturgeon over in the Bay. All I can say is WELCOME! If you've never caught one of these monsters, give em a go, you will not regret it.:0a24: :0a27: :0a26:
    Don

2. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    A couple of those tasty little devils. Here's what they look like. My nephew would not hold him because of the prickleys on the sturgeon body.
    Don

Attached Files:

3. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Sweet fish I am planning a trip next spring or fall.

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Come on out, in June the weather is fine and man there's alot of stuff to do and see here. One hour from Portland, you can walk the beaches of the Pacific, Ocean, One hour the opposite direction you can ski on Mt. Hood, One hour in another direction you can be in the high desert at Bend, Or. Go to the Bonnieville Dam and feed a Huge sturgeon, Rainbow trout. Take the elevator down inside the dam and watch the fish swim by. Watch the fish come up the ladders at the dam too. The fish hatchery will be in full swing at the dam also. The trip alone would be worth it just to see the biggest Roses you ever saw right here. Up the road from the dam The Multnomah Falls show off. It's all free to see & do.
    Don

5. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    Oh yea, I agree 1000%. Sturgeon is an awesome fish. We fished below mcnary damn for years for the big boys. 5'2" was my most prized. We feasted fro several months on that one. Hooked one they said was about 8 ft but lost him..thank God..ehehheeh

I live in walla walla and wish we could get some folks input on the lower walla walla river for cats...

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    It's just pretty tuff to find anyone out here that will join us. Most of the guides I've talked to say they only sell a couple trips a year for catfish at best. The guys that are cat fishing are not giving us much help. Hang in there, I know more will show up soon.
    Don

7. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I just noticed this was your first post! Welcome to the BOC!! Tell your friends in Walla Walla to get in here and join us. We have room for all kinds of fishermen. Again welcome home, you can meet some pretty neat people here, jump right in and get acquainted!
    Don

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Man, I sure would like to get some of that action! I would love to do some fishing up North! Maybe happen this year. Treasure, welcome to the B.O.C., we are happy to have you aboard!

9. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    We'll be heading up your way in 2 weeks for some oversized sturgies. I think we're going to bonniville

10. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    You should be just about right on the money John. Be sure while you are here to at least visit the Bonnieville Dam. You can see several large sturgeon, rainbow, salmon fry, and lots of other stuff free. All right at the dam. Let us know how you do! Welcome in advance and enjoy your trip!
    Don

11. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    Thanks for the support all. Delta, let me know when you come up..would love to swap some stories. I may even have a few by then.

For going to Bonnieville Dam, Yes that is a must see. Although the last time I was there, several years ago some kids had went in and killed one of the really big Sturgeons. and stuck some others with sharp sticks and tore things up a bit.

I caught my first bad boy channel this thursday nite..11.5 lbs and 29.5 in. Man what a battle. I figured out the first time he pealed line I was definatly under tackled. 10lb test and trout pole..duhhhh..what was I thinking. thought it was funny the rest of the folks was using 20-30lb test and stocky rods..I had a ball with him..

I filleted him and cut him in 2" squares and breaded him with seasoning, then deap fried him..man what a feast. I am hooked, hook, line, and sinker.

12. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    Catfish should be spawning out right about now in the Walla Walla River. Folks I talked to last thursday said it was getting close...hope I didnt miss it.

13. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Here's this weeks slam we put on them in the Gilbert. A friend and his son in their boat, mother and I in ours. We caught "1" channel that might have been 7-8lbs. sinker included, but he went back. We caught 9 total, John and his son caught 14 (he said??) I had to keep one little one that was bleeding when I reeled him up I didn't know he was on there. I don't know how he got the bait in his mouth let alone the hook. These we split and I'm having fresh channel for supper Friday night. You might be right Treasure they must be ready to spawn, we fished about 6 hours and should have done better. The absence of any bigger fish is also suspect. Keep after them!!
    Don

Attached Files:

14. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    We went up to mill creek here in Walla Walla and I threw my crawdad trap out and got 15 nice (catfish) bite sized crawdads for us to use as catfish bate the next time we go out..should be this weekend sat or sun..

You know I really tusseled with letting my 11lb 4oz bad boy go..then I thought it would be good to eat some fresh fish...and Yep I was most defenetly right..it was awesome..Now I will throw the big ones back and eat the smaller ones..

15. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    It is very tuff to make a commitment to the future of fishing. It's real easy to say, but much harder to apply when it's your turn. Then you get the feeling that you made a difference, you don't need anyone to tell you, you just feel good. Thanks for sharing!
    Don

16. GregRobinson

GregRobinson New Member

State:
    Walla Walla Washington
    I'm also from Walla Walla, just moved into the area. I've been fishing at Walula Junction and it's been hit or miss. Pulled out a 30" blue a few weeks ago, and a couple of 24" channels. If you can get access to the river elsewhere, there's supposed to be some pretty nice cats to be caught.

17. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Glad to have you with us Greg! Welcome to the BOC! There is so much information, some pretty smart people, and a host of fishin, hunting, sports. I'm in the Hillsborito side of Portland and we're looking for all the members we can gather. You are bound to find something in here you like, but don't wait on that...jump in anywhere.
    Welcome Home!
    Don

18. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    Hey Greg,
    Lets go fishing. I caught some down at the park yesterday about 4am. stayed till the sun came up and headed home. I caught some 6&4 lb'ers and several 3-2 lb'rs...nothing real big but will be some good eating.

Was strange, the fish were jumping and the catfish went nuts...for about 2 hrs it was one right after the other...then when the sun hit the water it just died.

Let me know if you want to go...I am about ready again

19. GregRobinson

GregRobinson New Member

State:
    Walla Walla Washington
    Thanks for the kind words of welcome. I've been lurking around here for several months now, and it seems to be a good place.
    Kemp, We'll have to meet up and see about doing some fishing sometime. My work schedule is a bit...odd, but I usually end up fishing on Thursday and Friday nights if I get the chance. I was going to go out to Ayers Junction tonight, as I did pretty well out there last night but it has been a week or two since I've been down to the Walla Walla, and I might have to go give it a shot. I'm usually down there under the highway bridge in the evening, but I've been wondering if the fishing's any good by the boat launch and I might have to give that a try. I'll probably be heading out in a few hours. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail or look for a silver ranger with a black tonneau and white tool box.

(gregnosnibor at yahoo dot com)

20. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Man I love it when a plan comes together! You guys get hooked-up, walla (no pun intended)more fish stories! Outstanding! Hope you guy's catch a bunch. Let us know how it goes. Watch out for the heat, only supposed to get to 100 today.:go: :feel_good: :ah:
    Don