Big Stones River Cats???

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Copeland, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Copeland

Copeland New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Guys, i'm new to the BOC, and this is my first post. I was just wondering if any of you local guys near me have ever had any luck with big cats on the stones river? i just bought my first boat and have been bass fishing in it, but i am dying to take it out for some cats. i live in murfreesboro, and the stones is just a few minutes away. Percy Priest and Old Hickory aren't far either.

2. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Many years ago I know of a fellow who grabbled (noodled) BIG flathead cats in the Stones River, so I know they're there. I've never fished it specifically however. But, in general, to catch blue cats find deeper holes in the river channel... any place in main channel with some current flow that has some sort of hole or hump that breaks flow. Blue cats are like trout... they like to hang out in ambush points waiting on dead bait to drift by. You can anchor or drift... personal preference.

Flatheads prefer live bait... anchor in bends of the river with undercut banks and structure. Put a live bluegill on the bottom in such areas and if there's a flathead around, he should eat it.

Good luck.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Excellent advice! Welcome to the BOC Drew.

4. Folion

Folion New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Hey man.
    I live in the Boro to. Priest is known for big flat head cats. From what i know they love the large amounts of rocks and boulders that are around the two forks of the stone river. Now when the water hits 70 or 72 degrees they move into the shallow rocks and rift-raft to spawn. I have been told they get pretty big to. A twra officer told me the other day that a 72 pound flat head was taken out of priest about 2 weeks ago were the 2 forks of the stones river come together. He also told me that the best bait for this time of year is live brim and/or blue gill, not cut bait. i plan to go try my luck when the water gets a bit warmer and they start spawning. I hope this helps.

p.s
    welcome to catfish1.com :D

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the boc, its great to have you aboard, I havnet ever fished stone river, but im sure there are plenty of people on here that has fished it and can give you great advice, its good to have you aboard.

6. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Yeah there was a 72# caught back in March on Priest but they aint for sure if they will let it in the record book for Priest.The guy didnt get the proper certification on it or something and then he turned around and done filleted it to eat,Something that big I dont think I want to eat.The biggest catfish I ever have caught on Priest has been 35# and was using jugs.I am just outside of Murfreesboro.Me and my best friend is thinking about hitting the water in a bit to see if there is any biting.

7. Folion

Folion New Member

State:
    tennessee
    ya.
    twra has got it on there report that there starting to show up for the spawn. There also saying on there report that A 63-pound blue catfish was caught last week on Percy Priest on a jug. Starting to look like Priest maybe a hot lake this spring and summer :smile2:

8. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    I normally run alot of jugs on Priest during the day and night.Most all my jugs have yellow dot tape on the ends of them to be able to tell them from others out there,Alot of the other ones out there you see with silver or red tape.I am going to really work on trolling for some big boys this year.I really want to try and get the big boy in the boat.I cant wait to get some weekends off from work and be able to spend the nights on the lake fishing all night.:big_smile:

9. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey guys...been a long while since I've been on. I love fishing in the stones river, but I've never catfished in the stones. Past couple weeks I just started back up doing some trout fishing out there. Caught 2 little eating size rainbow in about an hour before it started raining real good.

I've looked at the bends of the river and am sure there has to be some decent cats out there. Decent amount of fishing pressure, but I never see anyone fishing for cats. Everyone goes for bass or crappie. I may go out tomorrow afternoon for some cats and we'll see what happens.

If anyone wants to go out sometime let me know. I know some spots for bluegill and trout (while they're still alive) and am more than happy to show my spots.