Big snapper today

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by loki1982, May 20, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am a reptile freak, snakes, turtles, lizards, frogs, alligator whatever I love em all. Today on my way home from work a Common snapper was crossing the road almost got hit by a car. I stopped and picked him up. Im guessing hes 25+ pounds once I get a picture ill post it up.

What makes him special is, I put him in a 50+ gallon tupperware container with a lid. I DUCT TAPED the lid 3 times. Went to bed, woke up a few hours later and decided to check on him. He broke the lid off and got into our koi pond. I dont believe he ate any of our fish before I got him out. The walls of this container are about 18 inches high, I dont know how he could have ever reach up, and created enough force to get the tape loose, the lid off and climb out. And on top of that, the container was sitting straight up, I would have thought that when he reached the top, the contained would have turned over.

2. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Whats the hammer for ? Incase this turtle gets out of line again:lol: :lol:

3. dg775577

dg775577 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How do you handle a snapper to pick them up? By the tail?
    I like reptiles also and if I knew how to grab one without losing a finger I would give them a hand getting accross the road.

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    hammer was just so you could see the size. I figured most hammer are the same size so would be easy for people to judge how big it is.

About picking them up. Picking them up by the tail will hurt them, so unless your gonna eat em it not good to pick up by the tail. The best thing to do is wear gloves and pick them up by the back part of the shell above the back legs. You need gloves because snappers have huge claws and huge mussells and will literally rip holes in your hands with just there back feet.

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    One other thing, there is no safe place to hold common snappers except the back, they are lightning fast at snapping and can reach atleast 50% of the length back.

6. kittygitter

kittygitter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    that is so cool. I m a reptile freak my self i have two snakes right now an albino bublegum snow corn yes i paid 100 bucks for that sucker, and a california king snake they are both about 4 ft long now. I catch and relocate venimouse and nonvenimouse snakes in my area, ever since i was alittle boy i was playing with snakes and lizaeds and yes turtles too. The other day i was sitting at a stop light with my girlfriend tken' her shoppen and all adn i saw a little something crossing the road i said "look at that caterpiller crossing the raod" and when the light truned green i looked at eh thing again and it lifted its head up i amedatley pulled over and ran to it i picked it up and it was a common sanpping turtle the size of a 50 cent piece! But yeah i got tons of snake stories so hit me up if you ever want to swap stories
    :amazed:

7. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice snapper, one time I was catfishing and had cutbait on, thought I had a monster fish and it was a snapper. I was a little disappointed but I realesed him. It had to be at least 30 pounds because it did not even fit into the net.

8. dg775577

dg775577 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the tip on handling these guys. I live in the country and have them all around here. Next time I come upon one I give that techique a try.

9. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    Glad to hear there are some other reptile freaks on here. Ive been obsessed with them ever since i was real young, ive had an iguana, blue-tounged skink, alligator snapping turtle, red eared sliders, garter snakes, king snakes, i witnessed a king snake kill a copperhead once at pea ridge national battlefield in NW Arkansas (amazing thing to watch) i wish we had just a complete reptile section on this

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Right now I currently have

1 mud turtle about 5 inches
    2 alligator snapping turtles both about 6 inches
    5 leopard geckos, 3 adults, 2 babies, and 4 eggs that should hatch in about 3 weeks
    1 green tree frog

I let the common snapper go, too big to take care of really.

Last night on the lake I caught a 5 foot Texas rat snake, brought it home to show my niece then let it go.

Also found a small alligator(4 foot) in our lake, I found where it lives, gonna try and get some pictures of it. If you go to Yahoo and type in Grapevine lake alligator, they did a news report on it, cuz they arnt normally in our lake.

11. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    nice list there, ive always thought it would be cool to raise leapord geckos. id love to see that gator, get some pics if you can :lol:

Pics of some copperheads my father and i picked up, only their heads were hit by cars so we had them tanned, they look great

Attached Files:

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah I have a tanned copperhead skin. We used to find a stray copperhead in our yard about once a year but our town is growing so much that most fo the larger snakes are gone. We find brown snakes, rough earth snakes and such usually 10-12 inches.

You ever found/seen a coral snake in the wild? Last year while bank fishing in central Texas I had a coral snake approach me. It was about the prettiest snake ive ever seen. The colors were much more impressive than pictures show. I lost it in the woods before I could get it into a bucket for a photo shoot. I did manage to get this huge ribbon snake. Was about 3 1/2 to 4 foot.

http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture119e6bb.jpg

Here's a picture of a baby rabbit that was in our yard. Its blurry though

http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture3562ym.jpg

and a pic of a chameleon I used to have

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1560lv.jpg

13. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    those are some awesome pics loki, that ribbon snake is gorgeous. ive never even heard of someone seein a coral snake in the wild! thats very lucky.

i forgot what its called maybe a worm snake? a very small snake that is black on top and pink on bottom, stays most of its life underground. I was fishing on top of petit jean mountain and found one dead looked to be killed by a shrew. had it in a jar with alcohol for years, not sure what happened to it but if i find it ill post a pic.

14. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    There is a snake called a worm snake, its hard to tell apart from a worm except it has 2 black spots for eyes and if you look closely you can see it flick its tonge. Ive never seen one except in books, but i hear people mistake it for a worm quite often.

In Texas we have a similar snake called the Texas blind snake, I havnt seen one of them either except in books.

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have seen many, many of those worm snakes. They are fairly common in Turkey where I was stationed and they would hide under the concrete blocks we had to move to open some doors we had there. Rather unique little creature.