Big Sioux Catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by BigSiouxAngler, Jul 15, 2009.

1. BigSiouxAngler

BigSiouxAngler New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anybody had much luck this year opn the Sioux yet? I've yet to pull out anything over 10lbs this year. Havent tried bluegill yet but have had alot of luck with chubs and cut skipjack for good eating sized channel cat. Thats if the turtles dont get it first. Got 3 leatherbacks about the size of a 5 gallon bucket opening already this month.

2. nanookofthenish

nanookofthenish New Member

State:
    sw iowa
    Hey Mike, waz up north. We don't ever get above Little Sioux, but I've always wanted to set aside a weeks vacation and explore the Big Sioux. On all the maps and satellite images that I see it looks like a beautiful unchannelized piece of waterway. Do you boat it, or just bankfish? Is it big enough for any 'real' blue cats to travel up it far? Just curious, some day I'd love to go up there and try it. As far as the softshells, they're everywhere. Does anyone ever clean and eat them like the snappers? If so, maybe we should give that a try too. Good luck to you-

3. BigSiouxAngler

State:
    Iowa
    The water is pretty low up north here. Gotta run a jon boat or canoe to avoid lower unit damage in areas. Been mostly bank fishing this year. Don't have a jon boat anymore and dont wanna put my bass boat in with the longshaft on the motor. I pulled a 20 lb blue out of a nice hole a couple a miles from my place. None this year yet just a few nice size channels and the occaisional flatty from the shore line. I think i would have better luck in a boat. Think we are gonna plan a weekend canoe trip in august, that should get me to some better holes and submereged timber. As far as the softshells go the only ppl I know of that eat them have been Vietnamese or Korean but I heard it is supposed to be good. Guess I never thought about cleaning one. Plus they would have to be pretty decent size for that and I have only seen one that would rival the snappers size. Wouldnt fit in a 55 gallon drum lol. Caught it by hand at my parents cabin on the Missouri when I was a teenager. But I would definatley recommend a canoe/fishing trip to anyone . The Big Sioux is a very scenic place with lots of sandbars for camping and bankfishing. If ya do ever end up making the trip you'll have to let me know how it went. Good Luck.:big_smile:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  4. mudd

mudd New Member

State:
    iowa
    if ya plan a big sioux trip try to plan it to fish near westfield area on south to sioux city.the sioux is channelized from sioux city to north of stone park a little ways.excellent flatty and channel fishing ad also get the occasional big blue....good luck and have some fun on the sioux.

5. BigSiouxAngler

State:
    Iowa
    I agree with Mudd. If you are looking for bigger fish stay South of Westfield. Forgot to mention that. Thanks for catching it Mudd.

6. mudd

mudd New Member

State:
    iowa
    not a problem.used to pretty much live on the sioux from akron on down with my old job.....

7. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    so far this year i know of 2 blues caught on big sioux that were in the 50's 1 that was almost 80,my biggest was 15,i have caught alot in the 4-10 pound range.i have caught blues as far north as klondike dam up by inwood.all of mine except at klondike were from the bank.there has been some nice flattys caught on big sioux also.my dad owns a local bait shop and lots of pics of fish out of big sioux

8. mudd

mudd New Member

State:
    iowa
    where is the baitshop he owns at?

9. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    sioux city, military road just before goining into south dakota