Big Scare Today- I've never even heard of this happening

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ghost River, Apr 22, 2007.

  1. Ghost River

    Ghost River New Member

    Messages:
    466
    State:
    Carolina
    With a lot of help I've been building a house in the evenings and weekends for about the last 9 months. We are about a week away from moving in. The hardwood finisher came and did his thing last week and we've been tieing up all the loose ends outside to stay out of his way. Yesterday he put the last coat on the floor (and they look awsome by the way) my brother and I put the shutters on the front porch and started building the deck on back.The shutters are your standard black plastic that come wrapped in celophane with twice the screws and junk that anyman could use. We piled the stuff up in the trash cans as we unpackaged and mounted them.

    This morning I was on the way overthere to start back on the deck when my cellphone rang. The wife said the next door neighbor just called and we were 15 seconds from having our house burn to the ground. :crazy: . I said what the bleep are you talking about. Well the front porch is on the east side of the house. It's one of those that is 8 foot out and under roof for the entire length of the house. The hardwood man threw his trash in the can all week. We threw the cellophane and trash on top yesterday. When he left he put the can in front of the door to keep anybody from trying to come in and walking on the wet floors. Apparently the cellophane created some sort of magnifying effect on the stuff in the bottom of the can as the morning sun beat down on it and about 10:30 that sucker burst into flames right there on the front porch. :eek:oooh: By the grace of GOD at that moment the next door neighbor was loading his family up to go to church when his 8 year old daughter said "Daddy, is that trash can suppose to be on fire?" He ran over and kicked it off the porch and into the yard. It was melted down to nothing when I got there about 11. Can you believe there was no damage of any kind to the house? There was a little smut on the front door that wiped off with a baby wipe. I was cometely shocked when I got there. 9 months worth of blood, sweat and splinters almost burned to the ground. By the neigbors estimation 15 seconds later and the siding would have be on fire. I'm still just shocked at that close of a call that I would have never expected. So praise the Lord for next door neighbors.
     
  2. kat in the hat

    kat in the hat New Member

    Messages:
    4,875
    State:
    Missouri
    Whew! Close one! Yup. Oil, or solvents thrown into a trash can can cause a fire all on their own. I've seen a can of oily shop rags catch on fire before all on it's own. Not cool! Glad your new house didn't go up in flames!
     

  3. Dano

    Dano New Member

    Messages:
    13,712
    State:
    Texas
    I'm glad it went your way. I built part of my house, cleared most of the small lot and contracted out the rest.
    Hard work, living a good life and grace of God pays off.
    Sounds like the good man above has your back.

    Enjoy your new house.

    BTW, get some insurance.
     
  4. olefin

    olefin New Member

    Messages:
    3,908
    State:
    Texas
    That was a very close call. Great that you had a close neighbor and a good one!
    Enjoy your new house, I know you will.

    Wife and I took care care of the clean up among other things while the contractors built our house. We had a county trash container a ways from the house during construction.
     
  5. jtrew

    jtrew New Member

    Messages:
    4,404
    State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Glad to hear everything turned out OK. A couple of weeks ago, my 5 year old grandson built himself a fire in our den (converted garage) then shut the door to the kitchen so no one would notice what he had done. Lost a few groceries and added a good sized hole in the carpet.
     
  6. buddah

    buddah New Member

    Messages:
    1,622
    State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    THANK THE LORD for vigilant neighbors!! Sounds like you have some pretty good friends and neighbors and good blessings on the new home!
     
  7. Mark R.

    Mark R. New Member

    Messages:
    186
    State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    You are a very lucky guy!
    I have had spontaneous combustion happen several times with dry paint filters, this happens when left out in the open they will catch fire.
    We used to place them in plastic bags and throw them on a trash truck to go to the landfill but they get holes poked in them and they will burn, started putting them in barrels, soaking them in water and putting on the lids.
    Guess thats why dirty grease rags are stored in containers with lids.
     
  8. Ghost River

    Ghost River New Member

    Messages:
    466
    State:
    Carolina
    Yes, very lucky. It's the freekyest thing I've heard of happening in a long time.
     
  9. GoFish_Tony

    GoFish_Tony New Member

    Messages:
    600
    State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Man!! That story has MY heart racing and I wasn't even there!
    :eek:oooh:
    You beat a LOT of odds there buddy. Can't get much closer then that!

    _
     
  10. Cheryl

    Cheryl Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    5,010
    State:
    TN
    Colt,

    Glad your families guardian Angels were at work!

    Insurance companies in industries, warn of all plastics. In VA, anything plastic cannot be over 5 feet high, due to the fact that it will drip and spread the fire.

    Please tell us, you have insurance! If not, please rush out and buy some.

    Take care.
    Cheryl
     
  11. ravenloft420

    ravenloft420 New Member

    Messages:
    346
    State:
    mo
    oh man close call. how do you ever repay someone for something like that?:eek:oooh:
     
  12. rebelzgrl76

    rebelzgrl76 New Member

    Messages:
    1,359
    State:
    CO
    WOW Colt, that was close, too close for comfort.
    Andrew is right, how do you repay someone for that, invite them over for dinner:tounge_out:.
    GOD bless them thats for sure.

    Enjoy your new home! I commend you for working so hard doing it yourself. Props to ya!
     
  13. jbarnes17

    jbarnes17 New Member

    Messages:
    536
    State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    man, i'm glad your house is ok. My heart was a thumpin reading your post and its not even my house.
     
  14. Ghost River

    Ghost River New Member

    Messages:
    466
    State:
    Carolina
    Yes, many of you mentioned it. We are insured... but I bet you we'd have played the devil collecting on that claim. New house, almost ready to move in, burns by "spontanious combustion"... yeah, right. :roll_eyes: