Big Sandy

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by misterwhisker, Aug 6, 2009.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    im gona be fishin a club tourney this weekend in ashland, We are gona be launching at the big sandy, oh. river ramp, does anyone have any info on some good spots that might help a fellow BOC catter out ? thanks a bunch .....Also I need a partner for this one any one wanna join me? PM me if you are interested.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

VA Point ramp? There are some decent spots around there, you after Blues or Flats?
    Night or day tourney? Gotta watch on the Sandy at night cause all the dang barges....

3. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Its saturday from 7am to 3 oclock,,,,big blues and flats will be just fine John:wink:....yes the VA ramp

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    The weigh in will be a good one I hope, so come on down if ya want, it doesnt cost a dime and see some bigguns returned back into the water to catch another day:wink::roll_eyes: im thinkin 115 lbs will win it:eek:oooh:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You have Google Earth? If so I'll send you some coordinates.:wink: Can't guarantee success but these spots have produced in the past...:wink::cool2:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

It should be a good one. The Sandy & Ohio should be cleared up some by then. There are some really nice cats around that area for sure!

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    my google earth isn't working right now but i do have maps, there are from us corps of engineers there are pretty good...will that work?

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sent you a book....I mean PM.:wink::smile2:

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good Luck tomorrow! Keep me posted on how you do.:cool2:

10. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Will do John, im prob. gona stay right around the big sandy ..is it deep in that area?

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Its around 20'-25' in the channel & where it meets the Ohio around 30'+. Down by the bridges on the KY side out of the channel it goes down to 10'-15' or so. Around the car bridge there is lots of rock/concrete where they blew the old bridge up. Snaggy but fishy...:wink::cool2:

12. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    is the old bridge close to the new one ? and would i be able to see remnants of the old one? your talking about on the ohio by ashland yes?

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'm talking about the first bridge you'll come to going up the Sandy. The second one is the RR bridge I told you about. You'll be able to see concrete & stuff on the banks close to the newer bridge and lots of stuff on the sonar.
    You can see them when you leave the ramp, not too far at all.

14. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    thanks bro that info is much appreciated, i will be fishin there, hope to catch 5 gooduns

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You're welcome Bro, I just hope that the info works out for you. You know as well as I do that their hard to pin point on any given day....:smile2:
    Good Luck & Be Safe! Those barges can be a pain sometimes, especially if its just a tug with no barge...:eek:oooh::crazy: About like the ocean sometimes.:eek:oooh:

16. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I just got back from gettin bait got me some dandy pumpkin seeds and chubs and lm bass not to mention the frozen chad i already have but i will try to catch some fresh sat morn.... cant wait i gota filling about this one :wink:

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You definitely have the bait!:wink:
    Pumpkin seeds are great baits and so are the chubs & the LM.
    I hope I can get this worked out, never fished a tourney before...May be able to bring beginner's luck...:wink::cool2:

18. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    fished the Big sandy today i didnt win the tourney but had alot of fun, caught two blues but they were 23 and 23 an a half and blues have to be 24inchs to weigh in... I lost a good flat at the boat maybe 18 lbs oh well thats been my luck lately, i did manage to wiegh in 22 lbs..maybe next year i can catch a bigger creel.....but i would like to think catfishjohn for giving me some insite on the big sandy it was a big help, thanks once again john..and if you want my honey hole that i found on the big sandy, call me and i'll tell ya the spot:wink::cool2:

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Glad to have helped out some. I wish I could have fished it but my back had other plans.:embarassed:
    Glad they bit for you, I didn't get a bite that night. Larry did catch that 5-6lb drum, some reason he wouldn't pose for a pic....:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2:
    You're not that far away, we'll have to get together and fish before the weather changes to cold.