Big Sandy River???

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by DoubleG, Jul 27, 2008.

1. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was wondering if any of my fellow Ky Catters fish the Big Sandy? If so, do you have a problem catching as many turtles as cats? Also catch alot of hybrid and Ky bass. I love river fishing, You never know what might take the bait!!!

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    There are a few of us that fish the Big Sandy. Never had a problem with turtles but Gar will aggravate you to death! We actually fished it last night. No cats but we had a few good runs and caught a couple Gar.
    What part do you fish? We fish from where it dumps into the Ohio all the way to Dewey lake. Lots of good spots.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I fish in the Paintsville area and I catch some turtles from time to time. I think they are just one of the things cat fishermen have to put up with. I want to start fishing down around the mouth as soon as I can find some one that will go that far and stay long enough to justify the drive. I like some company while cat fishing.

4. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I fish in Floyd & Johnson Counties. Mostly between Allen and Johns Creek which is where Dewey runs into the river. Ken, I am always up for a road trip. We should try and get together and make a night of it.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Sounds like a plan. I usually fish from Johns Creek down to Thelma just below Paintsville. But have been wanting to go down to the power plant or farther. Lets get together some time. Sounds like we're almost neighbors, I live at Hager Hill. Thats not to far from Allen with the new section of 23 and all. My schedule is pretty flexable.

6. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Ken and Gary. Welcome to the BOC. I'm up for a fishing trip. Me and Catfish John fish the Bigsandy all the time.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    We'll have to get together some time. Do some fishing. Do you fish days or nights or all of the above? I like nights seam to have better luck haven't cat fished much in daylight . Guess maybe I haven't got the hang of day time fishing yet.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Danny,
    Call me ASAP when you read this!!! I have good news I need to tell you!
    Its about the BOAT!!!

Sometime we'll all have to get together and meet up and fish the Big Sandy up this way. There is some good fishing up here and also some spots on the Ohio are good also. Make sure to bring lots of lead and hooks, some of the spots are snaggy as he!!.

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    John my schedule is very flexible other than an a Dr. appointment now and then . Just let me know when where and what size lead and hooks I need to fish that big water with:smile2:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

If we fish the Ohio you'll probably need 5-8oz no rolls. On the Sandy you can get by with 1-4oz in spots. Hooks, I like anywhere from 2/0-10/0 just depending on the bait and size I'm using. I mostly use Gamakatsu Red Octopus hooks, they work well unless I'm using really small live bait(rarely), then I'll downsize to not kill the bait.
    Your schedule sounds exactly like mine. If my back would let me, I'd be fishing everyday! I live 2.1 miles from a spot I fish at on the Ohio River. I just got back fishing a couple weeks ago after not being able to fish since early May. I still can't lift much or do a whole lot but I get out as much as I can. Danny and Adam are probably starting to get tired of packing my stuff...:roll_eyes::confused2::smile2:

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    John I have heard stories about stipers or hybrids up at the Greenup Locks in the spring.:confused2: How much truth is there to the fish every cast on buck-tail jigs? :crazy:Sure would like to try that some time with the home made jigs I have made. So you live 2.1 mile from a good hole in the Ohio. How Big is a 10/o hook anyway? Big enough to hang a hog on? Not sure I ever seen 1 that big. Is there a place up there to buy some I think the largest I have is 5 or 7/o .

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Not sure but I've heard lots of stories of people wearing the stripers out there. A buddy of mine wears out the sauger there also. I usually go there to catch Skipjack and Shad. I'm gonna try to get down there this week with KYJake. He lives about 45 minutes from me and goes there pretty often.
    I live 2.1 miles from the Russell bridge. There is a decent spot there, I've caught quite a few there. I'm wanting to get back there soon.
    10/0 is a pretty big hook. I usually only use them If I'm using Huge baits. 7/0 & 8/0 are the normal size. We'll make sure you have what you need, I usually buy my 8/0 hooks off ebay 100 at a time.
    There is a tackle shop close to where we fish and he mainly stocks catfish stuff. Not sure how big of hooks he carries. Danny may know. I know he'll have pretty much anything you need and has good prices.

13. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey fellas, count me in on this big trip. Sounds like I could learn alot. I may ask alot of questions but if you don't throw me in the water, I am a pretty decent cook if I must say so myself. Ken, I think we could put in at Louisa and reach the spots you are wanting to hit pretty easy. I think we are neighbors. I live between Allen and Prestonsburg.

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    We'll be bank fishing it for the next couple weeks I'd say. I'm hoping to get my boat this Saturday and it'll be the following week before I can get it titled and registered. I'll also have to mount a few things on it. Hopefully I'll be able to get it out on the water within a couple weeks.

Don't worry about the questions, I'm sure we can all learn something from each other. About the water, leave that to me, I have a thing about falling or sliding into the water, just ask Danny....:embarassed::roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

15. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Don't worry about the hooks. I can hook you up with some.:smile2:
    We were just up Dewey on Friday. John threw a copper head on me so watch him if you fish with him. I'm glade that there some members on here that fish the Sandy. I love the river and I think there are some moster flats in there. When we all get together I'll share the story about Scrap Iron Jack.

16. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    John don't need a boat. I don't know if he is fishing or noodling.:eek:oooh:
    There are some real good spots I can tell you about. If you ask John he will have you at a paylake in no time.:smile2: I'm just joking John.

17. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    COPPERHEAD--ME= PROBLEM!!!!!! If you want to see a 270lb man act like a little girl, show him a snake.. I think I am an easy going feller, but you have to draw a line somewhere.......

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Hooks, you don't have any hooks...:tounge_out::smile2:
    That copperhead was supposed to be a joke, I didn't realize that you was that scared of them...:crazy::confused2::smile2:.....You didn't have to "Accidentally" drop your cell phone by that drop off so I'd get it and slide over the hill into Dewey. I guess I got paid back for that.:smile2:
    I'm like you, I've fallen in love with that river and also believe there are some monster flats in it!
    Go out to KC and get your camera and send me that pic. I may have a new avatar...:cool2::smile2:

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

LMAO!!! Mainly fishing but when I'm in the water I may as well try the noodling...:crazy::wink::smile2:
    You may know the spots on the Big Sandy but I know the spots on the Ohio. I may show you them spots sometime. You gotta promise to quit calling me a pay laker and a ba$$ fisherman.....:wink::smile2:.....I may just not take you out on the boat, If it shows up.:confused2:

20. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    John, Chief, How did you do Friday at Dewey? Did you camp? The wife and I usually camp there a couple of times a month as long as time will allow.