Big Sandy River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by brandonp005, Jun 13, 2006.

1. brandonp005

brandonp005 New Member

State:
    Paintsville, Kentucky
    Anyone here ever fish the Big Sandy in Johnson County? If so, what parts? I have fished near Thelma, right past the golf course. Had decent luck by nothing to brag about.

2. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I fish it in Floyd county a lot. Another guy on here does as well. Ive done pretty good over the years. Very well on trots and limb lines. Caught some nice fish.

3. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Also thiers a spot just south of ya'. Go south on U.s 23 towards Prestonsburg until you get to the turn off going towards highland regional medical center. Just befor you get to the hospital tou will cross a bridge. That area is called Wiremans shoals. Thiers some nice holes in thier.

4. brandonp005

brandonp005 New Member

State:
    Paintsville, Kentucky
    is there primarily blues or flats there?

5. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Mostly Flats. Some blues and channels.

6. brandonp005

brandonp005 New Member

State:
    Paintsville, Kentucky
    i just got back from that area, we fished right below the bridge there, bank fishing.....using cutbait (bluegills), didn't get anything but we weren't there very long, by buddy has to go to work in the morning so we left at 9:30.........had 2 hits but i believe it was just some bass or bluegill picking at the insides of the bait

you ever bank fished that area any?

7. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Its been a long time, but yea. What I always like doin' was running trots and limb lines then fishing from the bank peroidically checking them thru the night. Dont have a john boat right now so cant do that. I like live bluegill and chubs for the flats, cut bait for most everything else. Thiers a guy on here that goes by rickster that said he and his buddy caught 18 cats a couple weeks ago behind the water treatment plant in P-Burg. A lot of the cats are nesting right now so the action is slowed some. Channels are coming off, the flats should be the last to come off the nest.

8. brandonp005

brandonp005 New Member

State:
    Paintsville, Kentucky
    i always use live bluegills and big creek chubs for flatheads, its just the current was so swift i assumed there wouldn't be many flatheads in the area so i cut the bluegills hoping to land a nice channel or blue.

9. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    In that swift water I like to find a submerged log jam or brush pile and set up there. Takes a good chunk of lead to keep it there sometimes.

10. brandonp005

brandonp005 New Member

State:
    Paintsville, Kentucky
    yeah, we had to use 5 ounce sinkers to hold it out there...hell it was a fight just to get your line back in......lol

you know of any more calm water in the area?

11. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Just a few, a couple up towards Allen but thier hard to get to. About the only still spots are on the upside of shoals.

12. brandonp005

brandonp005 New Member

State:
    Paintsville, Kentucky
    i've heard of people catching some nice cats in the Auxier area...you ever tried in there?

13. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I went to grade school in Auxier. I havent fished there much at all but I know plenty of people who do and do pretty well.

14. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    whats up buddie i fish the water treatment plant we do good thier in p burg. but i also heard thier under the highlands bridge is a good spot. we havent went thier yet but me and matt my friend plan on going thier as soon as fish come off spawn. and i live close to auxier so i am ganna try some spots thier also down town p burg on the main end past the honda shop thier is a lil gas station called summer set or something like that behind thier somewere i heard was a good spot but if we find a spot we will tell ya a good spot.

ps: and we havent fished behind the gasstationg i juss heard it was a good spot

15. brandonp005

brandonp005 New Member

State:
    Paintsville, Kentucky
    hey rickster...sure do appreciate it man..........we'll have to get up sometime and put it on em'

16. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I fish it some around Fishtrap Lake. I've always wanted to try downstream toward Prestonsburg and Paintsville. Anybody ever fish the dam at Louisa?

17. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I have friends who fish the locks at louisa and catch a lot of drum and carp.

18. mike79

mike79 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    my grandparents live next to its banks i grew up fishing there had pretty good luck, if you ever get a chance try the mouth of the big sandy were it meets the ohio river,in cattlesburg KY , or Kenova WV.
    not to get off subject, but if your not catchin any cats and get bored,bring some red yarn with you ,simply cut a strand off and put on hook ALLIGATOR GAR will actually hit this and put up a pretty good fight,
    later fishin buddies

19. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yea brandon well have to do that man and no problem. hope u have good luck man were i tell ya and sometime well have to get togther and kill em lol but for now c-ya ya good luck