Big rods or Small rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by jerellman, May 26, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Which do you prefer, Big rods or smaller rods? I prefer smaller rods because even if you got a small cat on the other end, it still feels like a biggy :big_smile:

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    It all depends on what size you are after. I have some very heavy duty gear for when I go the Miss river and get after some serious trohpy hunting. Reel in a 40mplus blue in 7 MPH current and it is understandable why people have the heavy stuff.

When I go to the local lake or farm ponds and fish I take along the light gear. light medium sized rods and reels and 10 to 14 lb test line.

3. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I prefer a short (6ft) heavy rod. I fish from shore,and longer poles just make it more of a pain in the butt for casting purposes.

4. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bearcat got it right. I sometimes use the lighter spinning tackle in the Tennessee River if I'm fishing slack water. Lighter tackle and very little weight creates a more "natural" bait presentation which means more bites and more hook-ups. You can get your heart (and line) broken but I've landed up to 30 lb. blues on a light spinning rod with 10 or 12 lb. test line. You just have to be patient.

BTW Bearcat, what's the fish weigh in your avatar? It's a horse.

5. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    it all depends if i am at the ohio or gmr i take my big rods even though i fish from the bank i don't get hung up as much with the big rods small streams or ponds the lighter the better

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Now, I do not fish with baseball bats but I like something with some backbone. I have a fishin buddy who uses older, smaller, fiberglass poles and to tell the truth he has more fun with 'em. Loses a few more than I do but he just loves the fight. And he has sure had some epic battles, you ought to hear him talk to 'em on the way in! LOL!

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Everything from m/h down to ultra light, 4lb line up to 27lb.

8. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use ugly stik catfish and a Tiger for flatheads. I do think that the Uglycat doesnt have the backbone to pull a 40lb flathead out of cover. But the tiger will have no problem. I like to play it safe. If youre fishing flatheads in wood I wouldnt go lighter than the uglycat. If fishing channels A medium action ugly stick would be a good rod.

9. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use both, when I am fishing a wide opened area i use my heavy duty stuff. When I am in a inclosed area i use my lighter tackle.

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I have a wide range of rods all the way up to a 14 foot Fenwick surf rod but I prefer ultra-lights. I use a 12 foot B&M Cadillac crappie rod with a spinning reel on it most of the time. I am not good enough yet to find the big ones I mostly catch 6 pounds and under and they are a blast on an ultra-light rig.

ST

11. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Rsimms.

The blue in my avitar weighted 51lb. I caught it last july while fishing the Miss river below the Alton dam. Was using a 9/0 gamkatsu octopuss hook . Baited up with a Skipjack gut pocket anchored with 4 OZ of lead. Water depth was around 40 ft. I was using a tidwater 30l reel and a St croix classic cat 80H rod. loaded with 20/80 power pro using a 50 lb mono leader.

By the way the blue in your avitar looks like a good size fish also.