big river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Motopro00, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Is the big river any good for catfishing? I caught a small flat head in morse mill off the boat ramp. I don't have a boat to get up and down the river but have tried several spots with out any luck. I fished in mineral mines once,morse mill a couple times and in desoto once at mammoth. thanks.

2. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    From the experience i had on the big rivers its a great place to catch big blues when you got the right bait for them you know...

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Hey Shawn he's talking about a specific river called "The Big River" not big rivers in general. As for fishing the Big river, I've caught and seen people catch many cats from it, but that was years ago. I believe it's known more for the Small Mouth Bass and such now.

4. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is my river of choice for catfish probably becaue I have property on the big, Ive been fishing it for the last 8yrs, It has a lot of chanl catfish and some really big flatheads I see a lot of 20-40 pounds flats pulled out every year. The problem is you need a boat are canoe to catch a lot of these fish. Best bait is miners or 2" gills. This is a great river to run trot,jug,limb lines. There is a nice lil bait shop cedar hill, Fords Bait he has good quaility bait and will give you a good up to date report he also has a big scale in his front yard when you catch that big one. good luck

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard the BOC Mike. Good luck fishing!

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Mike.

7. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    sorry shawn I did mean the big river as that's the name of it. its in jefferson county. It's a smaller river but its really close to me and have some different area's I can access it. I caught on small flat head a couple weeks ago. A friend caught a 38# flat head a couple years ago. I build two house's in cedar hill last year and will go check out the bait shop.:big_smile:

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Mike, you know my boat, is it too big to use there? I have that little 14' jon also, but trolling only and I'm a bit worried what my back would think if I tried using that little one.

9. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    glad u pointed that out ive never heard of it myself. were abouts is the big river located at. id like to make that road trip to see it and fish it

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    The Big River has it's origins at a spring about 1/2 mile up a ravine from the Enough boat ramp at Council Bluffs Lake in Iron & Washington Counties. (My old tree stand used to be within sight of the spring)
    From Council Bluff Lake, it meanders through St. Francis & Jefferson Counties till it runs into the Meramec River not far from Catawissa or Pacific. Most of the river has a eating ban on most fish due to a large amount of lead that seeps through from sand tailings from the lead mines around Park Hills (Flat River).

11. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I'd say your boat would be fine Tom, not sure about your motor. May want to hit up Manny or Dredge one of them guys with a Jet motor. I know I've been saying for years I was going to figure out a way to fish it more. I grew up spending damn near every weekend out at Morse Mill campgrounds fishing and swimming in that area. Also spent alot of time on the Big River in Bonne Terre during the summers. From what I remember it has it's holes, but the majority of it is pretty shallow.

12. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    hey tom that was a very informative description of the river. I learned something new. Thank you for that information. :big_smile: