Big river running question

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by fishnfwl, Dec 19, 2007.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Figure this is the best spot to ask, I have read and been reading different reg's for this place and that, is a vhf required to run the Mississippi, and I were and/or when do they offer any river running course through the Coast Guard? I have just been thinking about this and figured most of you all would know, 90% of my river fishing is the smaller rivers (without commercial traffic) been in a boat since I was 5 and alone since about 11-12 with the ol' row boat at the sportsman's club, bought my first boat at 20 never took any type of course for operating one, but 2 years ago took a deal with the state just to see and was not real impressed, most is the usual common sense, but hey that little slip of paper knocked 25% off my insurance. Just curious if communication is mandatory on "commercial" water, other than ringing the bell or what not for the lock master? Learn me something fellas. Thanks
    Randy

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's not mandatory on the MO river and I don't think it is on the Miss., but someone will say for sure. I know if I fished the Miss. a lot I'd have one in the boat just in case. One big tow on that river is more barges than I've seen in 2 years on the MO:wink:

3. okiefishkiller

okiefishkiller New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have lived around the nav. channel most of my life( up to this point). and i have never heard of comm. being required. like you said, just comon sense.

4. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    From what I've read, they are not required. But if you do have one aboard, you are required to monitor channel 16 for distress calls. It certainly gives you a little peice of mind knowing it's there if you ever should need it.
    I remember a guy on here that was stranded in the river because his motor wouldn't start. And the only way he could call for help was by using his cell phone and calling 911. I can't remember who that might be. :cool2: Anyways, I think it took like 4 hours for help to arrive. And it's a good thing he had cell phone service. Otherwise it might have been an all nighter.

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    There’s no such requirement at least on the state level here in Missouri Randy. For running rivers, Missouri did mandate a few years ago that a person born after a given date (can’t remember date right now) has to complete a safety course given by the Mo. Water Patrol in order to drive a boat. I did not want to leave any area up for interpretation like if I were to ask my youngest daughter, 11 at the time to move the boat with the trolling motor. So the whole family plus a friend of hers went thru the course and did find it very informative in addition to good common sense. It wasn’t but a short time after the course I was stopped for a safety inspection by the US Coast Guard on the Mississippi. Being informed and prepared, I was able to pass thru the inspection with flying colors. My son in-law was with me and we both had on our PFD’s even though it is not required. The grand kids were not with us but did find out federal law is 12 and under for all the time wearing PFD’s, were Mo. State is 7 and under. Another interesting note is when asked if I had been through a water safety course, I was the only one that answered yes to that question. Being informed is good, that’s what we’re all here for, to keep learning about something we enjoy doing. My youngest daughter is 15 now with a learners permit… if anyone see’s her going down the road wide open you can say she’s the one that learned to drive a boat first. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

6. dsweet

dsweet New Member

State:
    Michigan
    A boaters safety course and a VHF radio will be amoung the new requirements that are now in the works for U.S.C.G. controlled waters. Stay tuned. Nothing happens quick; and usually all at once.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

I'm pretty sure that boater safety course for the younguns DOES NOT include rivers, it is only required to operate a vessel in LAKES of the state. Might check it out again, I don't have time to right now. I do remember seeing that though because I had told my boys they had to complete a course and was dismayed to read that it did not apply to at least the Mississippi and I think any river in the state. Only impoundments.

Oh heck here it is, I looked it up:

Beginning January 1, 2005, every person born after January 1, 1984, who operates a vessel on Missouri lakes shall possess, on the vessel, a boating safety identification card issued by the Missouri State Water Patrol (along with a valid photo ID). If you fall into the required age range and are a resident of Missouri, you will need to obtain a Missouri certification card. If you are a resident of Missouri but do not fall into the age range, you are not required to have the Missouri card. Remember, a vessel is every motorboat and motorized watercraft including a personal watercraft.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    See, just goes to show it's like I've always thought, the rivers must be SAFER than the lakes 'cause we don't need a safey course to drive a boat on 'em.:wink: That or they figure us river types aren't worth bothering about cause :eek:oooh:

9. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    That’s correct Darryl, it does say lakes, lakes are where the age required mandate applies. Don’t know if the feds have an age requirement in the making, but I do know the course covers rivers very well and on the back of the card it states….. Contents approved by the national association of state boating law administrators and recognized by the United States Coast Guard. Both water patrol people giving the course patrolled the Merimac
    River and reinterated the course and card is recognized by the US Coast Guard.

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Randy... As of right now you don't need a radio.. You can do the Coast Guard course online and print off a certification when you pass it..
    Daryll.. I might be wrong but I think the Coast Guard requires anyone under 12 to take a boaters saftey course and be accompanied by an adult.. 12 to 16 has to have the boaters saftey course.. I read it somewhere just can't remember where.. It's that old age thing again..hehehe

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Thanks Hick...lol, can't wait to meet ya, always heard about the hicks around here but never met one, couple rednecks, but no hicks...... :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

Just search USCG for the info and test I guess?

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Yes.. The course has chapters and then a test at the end of chapter.. I started taking it last year but it was taking up too much of my BOC time so I decided to wait and then sold my boat later..

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I found that test to be one big ego deflater. I've been boating for 35 years. Yep, flunked that test so bad the first time I took it. I won't even tell ya how bad. So, I studied and studied till I aced the test. No, I never had to take the test Harold, I'm almost as old as you, you ol fart.
    It was embarrassing I must say, to flunk it. However, once I got past that, I realized that there was a lot I needed to know.

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Yeah Tom.. I read for a couple days and couldn't believe how much I didn't know that I thought I did.. I learned alot of things I needed to know before I went out on the river.. I think that was one of the reasons that I quit reading was that I flunked the 1st test and decided I'd rather be fishing.. And if I need to know anything now i can always ask Bob... hehehe.. he'd probably lie to me just to watch me screw up... lol

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    This seems like the appropriate thread to mention something I have in the works for you club members. I thought it would be a neat club activity for this spring to have a No Harm No Foul meeting with the United States Coast Guard. They will inspect each of our rigs, and let you know where you are lacking important safety equipment without issuing a ticket or citation.

I set up a program like this in Florida one year and it was a tremendous success. So, at one of the first meetings, well try and get a date set up with the Coast Guard and you all can bring your rigs this spring to make sure your safe for the upcoming fishing season.

16. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Sounds good to me Cuz... Mine should pass with flying colors... hehehe

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sounds like a great idea to me, can't think of why anyone would not want that, CPO buddy over here kinda does that for some if they just catch him at home,,,,,,,,

18. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    They cant find fault with something you aint got can they Harold? I am hurt that you would think I would lie to you just for a laugh.

19. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Utt Ohhh Now I hurt his feelings...It was meant as a joke... Does that mean i lost my co-pilot seat... And before I sold my boat the Missouri boys checked my saftey equipment ... While they were writing me a WARNING TICKET FOR TOO MANY POLES.. hehehe

20. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Sounds good Cuz, I know last summer the Missouri water Patrol set up at George Winter Park in the parking lot I think it was the last Saturday of the month and do inspections for anyone that wanted one.