big river rod and reel need some ideas

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by red river whopper, Jul 31, 2009.

1. red river whopper

red river whopper New Member

State:
    Sabetha, kansas
    I am wondering what everyone uses for a rod and reel for fishing the kansas and missouri rivers? What combo works the best for you?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen

3. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    I use a 10 ft. Kat Claw rod, Berkley spinning reel, 65 lbs Braid. Picked up the rod at B2 (B squared) Archery in Topeka, $35

4. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Shakespeare Powerod or Ugly Stik big water rod 10foot or more in length. Reel just depends on what type you like, either a large baitcaster or spinning reel. Daiwa and Penn both make excellent reels as far as spinning reels go and Penn makes some awesome baitcasters. Usually an 80 series or bigger spinning reel is what I prefer. Line also depends on your preference but 20lb to 40lb mono or 50lb or more braided, and brand is up to you. Suffix and powerbraid are some excellent choices. Weight depends on the rod and line but 3 ounces is a good all around choice. Hooks depend greatly on type of bait, but Kahle and Circle hooks are both good choices and usually 4/0 on up to 10/0 for big catfish and Team Catfish makes some great circle hooks or Gamakatsu is another good choice. :crazy::eek:oooh:Good luck and have fun fishin!:big_smile::cool2:

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    CatfishSafari Flathead rods with Abu 7000 Pro Rockets and 3/4 Ton Team Catfish with Abu 6500 C3's. 30 # Berkley Big Game on the 7000's and 20# Berkley on the 6500's with 3-4 oz. no rolls dependent on current and Gamakatsu 5-6/0 Monster NSB's dependent on bait size. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    my #1 rig is my Meat Hunter Custom, 12 ft, with an Okuma Avenger 90. any new i get in the future will also be Meat Hunters and will most likely stick with Okuma spining reels too. my dad has a 12 ftr too, my son Leeland has an 8 ftr w/ Okuma Avenger 40, and my nephew Storm has a 9 ftr w/ Okuma Avenger 40.

7. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Shimano 6500 with 65 lb Power Pro on a Ugly Stick Big Water and I use a Shakespear Tidewater with 100lb Spider Wire mounted on an Ocean City BR7778.

8. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Get you a 7" medium or medium heavy Ugly Stik Tiger. Penn is top of the line for reels. If you're looking a little cheaper, I've got a Shakespeare Arsenal that I'm very confident with. My Tiger with the Arsenal is a pretty stong combination for a relatively inexpensive price.

9. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i use a 10 foot okuma tundra with an okuma ebf 65 on it and a shakespeare tiger wih an abu 6600 c4, i know the tiger is a bit short, but its got a ton of backbone and will cast from here to eternity

10. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I use an old red surf rod that is about nine foot since I put a new tip top
    on it. The reel is a Shakespeare Alpha with 20lb Berkley FireLine on it.
    Someday I'll get an Ugly Stick 10ft with an Okuma Avenger Baitrunner
    on it. Probably will go with 30lb Power Pro on my next line change. I like
    how the stuff casts and I think I can get enough stretch out of a heavy
    mono leader, probably 50lb. Berkley Big Game. Never have run a baitcaster,
    but if I used my boat more I might. I'd probably go with an 8ft rod with
    a fast tip and a heavy line rating that could cast at least 3oz without
    complaining much. Shorter rods are easier to deal with in a jonboat.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The abu 6000 would be good enough if your lookin for 40 lbers and higher.

12. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Depends on what you are fishing for

E-glass works best for flathead rods, 7.5 to 8ft. Get one with lots of backbone but with a soft tip for lobbing big live bait. I use Berkley E-cat or Glow Stick rods depending on the situation. Cabelas King Kat are a fine choice too, and a little cheaper. I am no expert on blues, but many people use a graphite composite rod for greater sensitivity

Reels, any good quality spinning reel preferably a baitrunner that holds lots of 30lb line, or a good baitcaster with a clicker. Abu 7000 series are hard to beat, or the Penn 209 or 320 series are cheaper and great reels. If you fish blues you might want a linecounter to find your honey holes again

Line is a personal choice. I like solar colored Berkley Big game for my flathead rigs. Braided might be better for blues since the diameter is smaller. I wouldn't go lighter than 40lb for river fishing, and heavier is good.

You might let everyone know what fish you are targeting and under what conditions and we could answer you a little better. I have probably 12 or 15 combos I catfish with under different conditions. On the river I usually go heavier instead of lighter, there are some serious fish out there and you never know when one will come to visit.

13. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    3 Catfish Safari Flathead poles with Abu 7000's (7000B, 7000iC3, and a 7000 Pro Rocket) they all have PP 80lb High Vis Yellow string. For my Heavy current set up or Heavy cover I run a Rod Shop John Jamison Blue Cat #3 pole with a Abu 9000 Big Game spooled with PP High Vis Yellow in 150lb. For hook and sinkers I match it up with the bait and the current. I also Have some Abu 6500 I will run time to time but I have found out that in heavy current and with a big fish on the reels do not hold up like the 7000 so I would look at the 7000's and skip the 6500 if I was you.

14. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
    ugly stick 10 footer and a penn :cool2:

15. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i use a 8ft nightstick with an abu reel spooled with 40lb spiderwire. and a 14ft shakespear power rod with a quantum reel spooled with 65lb spiderwire. :cool2:

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My big river set up is a 6' Ozark Sannun Rod by Eagle Claw, A Penn 309, with 100# power pro braid, and various sizes of Gama Big River, and Octopus hooks, weight varys too. Big river number two is in developmental stages.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    get a ugly stick big water rod 12 foot long extra heavy action, and a abu 6500-7000 real.

18. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    ^^^^ This guy knows whats up.^^^^
    Ive got the cheaper version, the powerod in 12ft and the Ugly has got to be twice as good. The powerod will cast 150yds NO problem, but it is a little too limber for more than about 8 ounces of weight, which is enough for me right now. I LOVE the look and feel of the Uglys.

19. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use a 12' extra heavy ugly stik with 30lb mono and a zebco 808 bowfisher push-button reel. I know it sounds stupid, but it casts great and can handle some heavy stuff, and they're cheap.

20. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    If you are gonna fish some heavy current get a baitcaster with a separate tension knob for clicker tension.Most cheaper reels including the 6000 and 6500 c3 don't have that. So each time you are casting out in heavy current you have to back off the magnet or you can only cast about 30 feet from the boat.If you don't put the tension back on the magnet your clicker and line will drift 300 yards downriver till your reel is spooled. Or you won't be able to use the clicker at all.Stick to the 7000 or go with a shimano Tekota {if $ is no object] They aren't level wind and will cast much farther. But they will run around $200 a pop.As far as rods I like the Quantum Big Cat 7'6" Heavy action They only cost $36 at Rogers in Liberty. I have 2 of those with 7000 Abu's and 40 lb stren big game.I think my last purchase will be a catfish Safari7'6" with a shimano Tekota. But my wife will have to get a job first....It sucks though cuz I usually get a new toy when the farm rent {10G's} comes due. Oh well maybe next time.