big river blues

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TheMadCatter, Jul 6, 2009.

1. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    no i didnt catch any blue cats, just 20 or so drum and a bunch of perch. i never fished the big river before, truthfully i have passed over it and beside it a few times but allways seemed to forget it was there. with all the dissapointment i have been getting from the meramec lately i decided to give it a shot. went to some park off 30 that charged me $6.00 to get in, and it was a beautiful spot. cute little waterfall, amazing rock faces. all in all it was very visually pleasing, and with them not allowing pets of anykind it was nice to not have to worry about stepping in someone's dog's sh*t.
    anyone fish the big river regularly? any decent cats taken from there? seemed like there were a lot of people there with cat rigs perched in pole holders waiting for a bite, but no one i had talked to had any luck that day. its so close to the meramec confluence that i imagine the spawn is putting dents in everyones dreams of a good catfish.
    at any rate, i was just curious if anyone out there had the 411 on the big river.

2. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    I knew a guy that used to trotline that area and come home with some nice flats but I havent seen or talked to him in a couple years. I fish below that waterfall in feb and march for some nice suckers.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I got a kick out of reading that. It was unexpected, but a good laugh. :smile2:

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The spawn will end and in aug they will pick back up. The no bite time on blues and flats suck lol. I did get a 15lb blue and alot of monster gar 4 to 5 ft lastnight on the Gasconade. Them big toothy suckers are fun and jump like crazy.

5. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    man , i been catching the crap out of gar. i might try to eat some

6. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    yeah, i have had some fun screwing around with gar lately. built a couple of the gar lures from the boc archives and they seem to work allright, in my expierience so far cut bait still works the best.

7. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes I know the place your talking about, it's my swimming hole. I use to live with in walking distance of that park. It use to be $4.00 a car load to get in there, went up this year. My GF and her brothers familly went swimming there last Monday. She said there were a few guys fishing there last Monday. They did manage to catch a few small cats and a Carp. She told me they left the carp on the bank to die.

When I lived over there I would fish real close to that bridge, I parked on a little side road, and walked down there so I wouldn't have to pay. If I go there to swim I pay and go down there to the falls. Fishing go by the bridge. Never really caught anything decent there, but probably a good spot for bait.

Another decent place on the Big river, just keep going down W towards Eureka, Go about 3-5 miles or so and there will be a main road going to the right just before a hair pen curve to the left, I think it's called twin river rd, not sure though, make a right and cross over the bridge, make a left just passed the bridge and you can fish right there, it's pretty deep around there too.