"Big River Blues" Help

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by getbit, Jan 15, 2008.

1. getbit

getbit New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I want to go this weekend but I have never fished in the winter very much, need to know where and how to catch some "Big River Blues" :wink:

I am not to far from Pickwick, live between Corinth and Tupelo
    [​IMG]

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well for starters you better be dressed in some warm stuff I can't stand being cold in the boat waiting for a bite. If the water is above 40 or 42 I wouldn't hit the really deep water yet I would stay from 30 to 50 ft channel ledges and humps. I am not saying they won't be in 20 foot of water the biggest fish we caught in the river a couple of weeks ago was in 21 foot of water but I have been targeting 30 to 50 feet of water. Find channel edges and put in some TOW time on water. When I find a good ledge I will throw a few lines in 30 or 35 foot of water and a few in 50 if I start getting hits on one side of the boat thatwill tell you what depth they are in. Fresh bait is key in this also, fresh cut shad and skips are great. I have been using smaller bait this winter and have had good luck with it but some of the guys on here are die hards when it comes to big baits so do a little expermenting and you get into something.

3. Drum

Drum New Member

State:
    McEwen, TN
    I was wondering the same thing also. I'm going to install my new depth finder this evening and maybe hit it this weekend.

4. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Hey Chris. Do you stay in the reservoirs all winter or do you try the river at all? I've been concentrating on the rivers and haven't had much luck. I can't seem to find any water over 25-30' unless I'm right up near the dams, and if they're in there, they aren't hitting anything.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I have some rivers closer to me that were worth a crap Thats all I would fish but to get to a decent stretch of river I have to drive at least an hour, what river are you fishing? And if you are fishing a part of a river that doesn't have deep holes like 40 or 50 feet 20 or 30 foot might be what you need to look for. I used to fish the mississippi up north and it was a half mile wide but a good hole was 15 to 18 foot deep just depends on the body of water, but I like rivers a lot more than lakes you can target the fish easier.

6. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I fish the upper stretches of the cumberland, but not as much for cats. For cats I usually go down near Chattanooga and fish the tailwaters of nickajack lake. the river there averages about 15-20' with a few deeper holes closer to the dam. There are a couple spots behind the dam that get down to 50', but they're hard to reach when they're generating. I'm considering trying old hickory after reading some of your posts, but I wouldn't know where to start. It's a big lake.

7. getbit

getbit New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Cumberland, do you drop an anchor at 30-50 ft or do you drift? I have fished up in the steam plant discharges and caught coolers full of 1-2 lb fish great eating size, but I want to tie on to a good one!

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always anchor above a channel ledge I want to fish and let them have it.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Getbit, welcome to the BOC! You'll find a great deal of valuable info on here. I would recommend that you fish the deepest holes in the body of water that you typically fish. If the DEEP holes are only 25-30 feet............then that is where the big fish are. If you are fishing the cumberland, there are some real deep holes in there get out and find them. DO NOT ANCHOR THE BOAT!

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Getbit, welcome to the BOC! You'll find a great deal of valuable info on here. I would recommend that you fish the deepest holes in the body of water that you typically fish. If the DEEP holes are only 25-30 feet............then that is where the big fish are. If you are fishing the cumberland, there are some real deep holes in there get out and find them. DO NOT ANCHOR THE BOAT! Just like people, the fish don't necessaryly like to move in cold water so you have to go and find them. Put your lines out with a 3-way rig and some cut skipjack and drift through those deep holes slowly. You will present your bait to more fish and are more likely to catch the big one. THEN if you find a spot where they are hitting consistently perhaps you can anchor that hole. Let me know how this works out for you.

11. getbit

getbit New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thanks for all of the info, there are some pretty deep holes along the river channel where I will be fishing! I wil try all these methods and see which one works out the best for me. It is going to be ruff out there Saturday with the highs in the lower 30's, but I want to catch a big one on a rod and reel so I will have to just bundle up!

12. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My philosophy is if you don't want to catch 2 lbers, then use a big piece of bait that a 2 lber can't eat. Also, be patient and don't get discouraged if fish aren't biting. If the fishing gets so slow you can't stand it, then use the time to scout for new places to fish on your next trip. Winter fishing is sometimes very slow and always unpredictable, but be persistant and fish waters you know have big fish and it will pay off eventually. Good luck fishin'.

13. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    welcome ole buddy in the winter months i like to fish below cheatamdam.There is alot of structure.I like the inside bends.