Big River, Big Blue Catfish from the bank

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by patrickgd, May 26, 2009.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I fish the bank on the Mississippi River in Memphis. I've had some success fishing for Flatheads in the calmer waters but rarely catch a Blue in these areas. I'd like to know if there is anyone else out there that has success fishing a big river for Blues? Also the part of the Miss I fish does not have a dam. I just go to different spots on the bank. Most of the time it seems like the current is just too swift to fish (even with say 24 oz.) and if it's not real swift I don't catch any Blues except small ones. Anyone out there with experience to share?

2. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    24 ozs of weight..man you must have pool cues for rods.

3. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i've had success fishing the MO from the banks behind wing dikes where the scour holes are. you will see a big eddy and either fish the head of the hole or the back end of the hole. they are only usually about 40-50' out from the bank and i only use bout 4 oz's of weight and kinda keep the bait off the bottom, using a fairly long leader for my hook. I havent caught many fish because i barely started fishin rivers and areas where there are blues but i have hooked into them.. Landing the big fish when ur on the river bank is a whole other story :smile2: Good Luck and keep us updated of any fish u catch.

4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Yeah I have one rod that is like a pool cue cept 12 ft long

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also fish the bank of the Mississippi here in Alton, IL. I understand your frustration when fishing heavy current. I sometime fish the dam here, but it is a lot more work dealing with the heavy currents and snagging up every cast. Most of the time I will fish near the dam in calmer water. I have caught a lot of nice blues up to #50 in the calmer water. I don't believe the big blues always stay in the current. I know they come into the calmer water also. When I decide to fish calmer water, I make sure the area has plenty of baitfish around. If you fish a spot where bait is not available, I doubt many larger blues will be around. Also, maybe the area you are fishing does not have a large concentration of blues. Good luck.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its a challenge with 7 foot rods, i need a 12 footeri need about three of them to sling ten oz 50 yards,with 80 pound powerpro, 300 yards, then youv got it made, thats alot of money

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    If I lost 24 oz. every time I hung up I would be crying. I know its hard
    to find good bank fishing spot. But I would look for a place that offers
    a good current break. A point, rip rap, barge pileing, anything that will
    help break the current. I do not think cats like to fight the current all
    the time they would be exhausted, They like ambush points out of the
    main current with a good supply of food fish.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is any body refering to the altone dam, thats a challenge,i might be there saterday