Big private lake, cant find fish...HELP!!

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by yellerbelly69, Jul 5, 2007.

1. yellerbelly69

yellerbelly69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    :sad2::confused2::angry: uh ya just wondering if anyone has any answers for me as to why we cant find or catch the large flats and blues that we have put in our lake. the lake has been there since 58 and is rarely fished... all we can catch is bullheads.. there are tons of them. could the large population of bullheads have starved out the big cats?? also there is a shallow end of the lake that we never fish, could the cats be going back there at night to feed? also can those flats and blues reproduce in a 9 acre lake. thanks

thaks, callin & nate.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Where did the "LARGE" flats and blues come from that were put in there? I'll make an assumption that they were taken from "PUBLIC" waters and put in this "PRIVATE" lake for personal use. Perhaps knowin what they fed on while in the "WILD" would help in your quest.

3. yellerbelly69

yellerbelly69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    no the werent takin from "PUBLIC" waters. they were heavily heavily stocked from 58 to 78 from A "HATCHERY" when they were put in they ranged from 8 to 16 inches. and my dad remembers some forty lb flats bein pulled out 4TH of july weekend in 1990 but none have turned up since then. also over those 20 years there was a total of 1,500 flats stocked 1,500 blues stocked and 4,500 channel cats stocked. we have no idea where the bullheads came from. also it is a 9 acre lake fed by a natural spring.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    that's alot of fish for a 9 acre. I think the DNR goes with something like 150 pounds per acre on it's large resevoirs. Put if they aren't spawning in there, which I doubt the blue are, then most if not all those fish are gone now. If there is an abundant bullhead population then there are no flatheads or not many of them because they would definately keep those guys in check. Sounds like u might have some channels that have been reproduced in there but I doubt much else.

5. shovelfisher05

shovelfisher05 New Member

State:
    ohio/indana
    also with so many bullhead thiers plenty for the big cats to eat,what are you useing for bait?

6. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    HMMM...I need some Bullheads for Flat Bait......:wink:

7. yellerbelly69

yellerbelly69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    well it was stocked heavily like that by the original owner because he was an avid catfisherman and wanted that paylake style of large cats except without all the empty beer cans and trashy people lol. but i have kinda come to the conclusion that most of the big cats must be gone because they would of deffinately kept the bullhead population in line. you are all more than welcome to come out and load up on bullheads take all you want please. i think im gonna go out sat mornin and catch some or throw jugs out so i can use some for bait this weekend.

so do you guys think my chances of pullin some big cats out of here are pretty slim or what, if anyone wants to you can come out and try with me, theres plenty of bullheads and good 6-12 pound channels to be had.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You say the lake has been only rarely fished that you know of.
    Is it possible that the lake has been fished by "guests" over the years without anyone knowing and the bigger fish taken?...W

9. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    A freind of mines parents have around a two and a half acre lake in cedar grove indiana which was stocked with small blues in the late seventies and not fished much.You cant catch one in the small lake.From what I understand Blues wont spawn in none running water.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would say stock it again. eat those bullheads they are fine on the table.

11. shovelfisher05

shovelfisher05 New Member

State:
    ohio/indana
    i got a small pond that i want to stock with bullhead if you want to thin out the population please let me know id be more than happy to take a few dozen off your hands
    :wink:

12. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you got a bunch of bull heads, you should eat em, and i suggest setting a trotline out just to see what you got, we did that at a friends private lake that was about the same size, we thought all there was was bluegill, i put out a trot-line with various baits (bluegill, chicken liver, worms, soap, etc.) turns out he had some channels too, i suggest puttin out a trotline with lots of various baits, the trotline we used had about 150 hooks, but i suggest making a bunch of 25-50 hook trotlines and setting them in various places throughout the lake!

13. yellerbelly69

yellerbelly69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    well no i know for a fact it is rarely ever fished at all, and never cat fished except by me and my 2 friends. other than that, last night i went and bought some catfish food and threw it out there i had about 18 fish come up, all channels, no flats,blues,or bulls and they were surprisingly large about 8-12 pounders if i had to guess. but fyi you are all invited to come out and take as many of those bullheads as you want.

14. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    like skimax said... flatties gobble up bullheads, and blues wouldn't reproduce there. I'll bet there's some twenty pound channels in there. And I'd try the flat you mentioned. My biggest channel cats have come from two foot deep flats.

15. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My mother-in-law has a pete-moss pit around 7 acre's. Same thing on stocking and age of lake, the big fish are there but eat so good and are hard to catch. But we catch a big'n now and again.

I'd start hooking on some of them small live yellow-bellys to your hooks.

If something happened with run-off into your lake, and hurt/killed the fish. Well ,I'd have it tested anyways. jmo.

Hows the gills and bass, ect ???????

16. yellerbelly69

yellerbelly69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    well like i said my family has lived on the lake since it was created and there has never been a fish kill or run off problems. and there has been a channel created by the natural spring that feeds it. and the cats lay in there thick but iv never pulled anything huge, but yes there are some huge channels cause we had two pop up this spring once the ice melted. as far as bass bluegill and crappie they are all big and healthy and quite plentiful. my dad has several 8-9 pound bass on the wall, and a couple bluegill and crappie.

EVERYONE PLEASE LOAD UP AND COME GET SOME BULLHEADS!!!

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Callin, if you can't keep the bullheads off your hook, then there aren't any flatheads left.

18. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Have you tried cut bluegills (Not green sunfish)the Whole thing like an 8"-10" cut just behind the head and back of the tail where the insides almost come out both ends (Belly Pocket). If there are big channels/blues in there they will hit them like a ton of bricks because the big baits will keep them bullheads from hitting your bait. Unless they are some trophy bullheads which might be fun as well, I would also suggest using Big hooks such as Eagle Claw 8/0-10/0 King Kahle Hooks as there easier to remove Imo.

Hungry flats will eat this bait as well.

Are there shad in there??

If so might try them Also

Hope This helps

19. yellerbelly69

yellerbelly69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    well. i know there are flats and blues in there because we have put some in there in the last couple years from pay lakes. as far as shad there is none in the pond. and yes i have tried every bait possible and fished it every way possible. and when i use big baits and big gear i just catch big channels. as far as big bull heads they are in there, my buddy caught one about 4 years ago that was actually only a couple ounces away from the state record. it wouldnt surprise me if someone did pull one out that did break the record some day.

20. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    If you are looking to stock the pond then do not go to paylakes for your fish. Those fish have been under such tremendous stress that they rarely live very long, especially once moved to another smaller water (those guys grew up in thousands of acres). If trying to build a nice flathead fishery then go with small flatheads bought from a reputable retailer. It is illegal to transfer fish from public waters to your pond, so be careful what you do there. A pond with big fish isn't created overnight, don't throw 30 pounders in there, throw 1 pounders and let them grow to thirty, it won't take long with those bluegill and bullheads. it is much better for the ecosystem of the pond and the big fish to let them grow big in there. trophy fisheries take time, ask any state DNR biologist.