Big perch on shad....never would have thought

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BigCat4, Aug 18, 2006.

1. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    I went last night and caught 4 10lbs perch on cut shad and no cats i didnt think they'd bite on shad you guys catch and perch on shad??:confused2: :confused2: :confused2:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I haven't cought bream on shad but I have caught them on large whole minnows and cut minnows and even fiillets of bream.

3. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    :eek:oooh: wow them some big bluegills:eek:oooh:

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    10# perch??....Are you talking about freshwater drum instaed?

5. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    10lb Perch Come on little Brother I love a good fish storie but dam-it I need to see this pic.Wow 10 lbs You the MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll_eyes:

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Yeah everyone calls them perch around here though but thats the fish. I catch them on cut bait all the time.

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Haha, good thing somebody confirmed that the post was about drums. When people talk perch around here, it's yellow perch and those things seldomly reach about 3lbs.

8. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, we call em Perch around here too, noone calls em Drum. If you look under a fish species guide Freshwater Drum can also be called White Perch. My buddy caught one that went 15lbs last year, and also Travis, I have caught them on shad before, as weird as it was my shad was live, not cut.

9. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, we call em Perch around here too, noone calls em Drum. If you look under a fish species guide Freshwater Drum can also be called White Perch. My buddy caught one that went 15lbs last year, and also, I have caught them on shad before, as weird as it is my shad was live, not cut.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Best I can tell, everything is a perch.

Kind of like when you go to Arkansas and order a coke and they ask you which flavor you want - dr. pepper, mountain dew or what?

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Its the same way in Texas, you ask who ever your with if they want a coke and come out of the store with a Pepsi.

12. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    In Louisiana we call Crappie either Perch or White Perch, unless you are talking about Red Perch. But only in north La. In south La. we call the Crappie, Sac-a-lait, unless you are from north Louisiana and moved to south Louisiana then you would still call them Perch, or White Perch. The Red Perch rule still applies to both north and south La.:big_smile: I didn't lose anyone did I?:lol:

13. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Yep im vouchin for river_rat_42 on this one cause i was the one that caught that 15lber. We had one day that we were usin skips and shad and caugh 12 nice cats off the skipjack and all we caught on the live shad was perch. it shocked the heck out of me.