Big Pee Dee River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rivercatsc, Jun 29, 2007.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I got out on the river about 6am and fished until about 3pm and put 5 fish in the boat. I had alot of good fish on but they either came off the hook or mostly got me hung up. I took a inexperienced fisherman and his 7 year old son so I reckon I should have toned it down some and tried to concentrate on some channell cats. We really had some good flatheads on but you have to be on your game to get them out of those trees without them getting you hung which is there life mission. If you stop reelling for 1 minute its over. Oh well they had a great time and each of the boated the 1st blue and flathead. Had 2 blues 14# & 9#, 2 flatheads both 7#, and 1 2# channel. The big flatheads seem to be hammering the live bream pretty good I breeezed right through about 35-40 bream and shiners.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for the report. I gotta get down to the Pee Dee one of these days.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Come on down all you have to do is pick the time and show up no boat no rods no nothing I will have everything we need. Just let me know and we will try and set a time.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    That sounds great. Maybe I can do that once it cools a bit. I always heard good things about the Pee Dee but never had a chance to fish it, just droole as we passed by on the way to the beach.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thomas the Fall will be the best time to come hook up on some huge flatties.

6. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Fished the Pee Dee at Cheraw July 4th.Water temp 80* caught 3 all Flatheads(10 lbs. total) on bream fillets.The water dropped 5' from Tuesday morning to Tuesday evening,than rose 6' early Wed. morning-than dropped 3' while we were fishing.:crazy:The powerhouse up at Blewitt Falls is killing us.The fishing up here is in the worst shape i've seen in 20years.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    for the past month on tillery the water flow has been in reverse everytime i have been down there. im not sure what is causing this but it may be part of the trouble your talking about with blewitt falls. havent had much rain up river from blewitt falls either. at times i have anchored and casted back up river to keep my lines tight.:smile2: its crazy! come on winter time.:wink:

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree that fall-winter fishing spoiled me forever I think.LOL

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Going to the river tommorow evening. Not much on fishing at night in the river but I am going to target some big flatheads I stumbled upon a couple of weeks ago. I had some inexperiencsd fisherman with me then but not tommorow night I will see just what they are. I hope to have a good report.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Went to the river monday night about 1 hour before dsark and fished until midnight. Had 4 good runs by dark and nothing after dark. Caught 1 10lb blue and missed 2 good fish cause my father doesnt quite understand the concept of not setting the hook. Twice a rod loaded up and he grabed it and set the hook like he was fighting a blue marlin and pulled the hook right out.LOL His commit was if I cant set the hook I dont want to go. I guess you cant teach and old dog new tricks. Had 1 more a decent flathead but he hung us up. Mosquitos were AWFUL that reminded me why I dont fish at night on the river. Hit a deer or should I say the deer hit my truck on the way home. He ran into the drivers door of the truck and when we got home and was unhooking the boat he was wedged between the boat and the fender sitting up looking at me. I went ahead and put him down looked pretty messed up after dragging his but about 1 mile to the house without knowing it. So total for the night was 1 10lb blue and 1 5 point buck deer.LOL

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Looks like we got about 4ft of fresh water in the river so I will be heading out at 5am to give them a try in the morning. Ill let you know how it is.

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Good luck and watch out for logs that swim.

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Let us know how it went, James. I was up at Dunham Bluff last week, didn't even have enough water to float the boat off the trailer. Had to push it off, then float downstream to a little deeper water so that I could start the engine and get on plane and run the deeper side of the river. Still managed to plug the tattle tale hole with sand when I came back to load up. A guy camping there told me that the river had actually risen about 6" from the day before. :big_smile: Same guy also told me (insisted) that he had caught a 104# flathead from near the 378 bridge a year or so back....

14. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I can't believe you didn't ask the fellow what he was drinking so that you could share that information with us!!!

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well I didnt get a 104lb flathead some guys have all the luck.LOL I started my day yesterday fishing around 7am and put a 6lb blue in the boat in the 1st hole. Went to the next hole and put a 10lb blue in the boat and missed a huge flathead bite. Fished until 3pm and only caught 1 small flathead and called it a day. When I got home I decided I would go back at dark and try them again cause I knew they had to feed sometime. Caught some more bait and restocked my eel bucket and me and the wife headed back down there about 1 hour before dark. Didnt have a bite until around 9:30 caught a 14lb blue, then about 1 hour later caught a 19lb flathead. moved to another hole and missed 3 fish and finnally caught a 17lb blue. Last hole of the night around 12:00 my wife caught her new PB blue 21lbs. Caught every fish on live eel except her blue caught him on a 10" live bullhead. I have always heard they were good bait and have been fishing with them for about a year without any success. Anytime I catch 1 I use him but I have never trimmed off there fins until last night and it seemed to pay off. I am just glad to finnally catch a fish on one never would have thought it would be a blue. Fishing was a little slow but got better at night. Could have really done good but after that my wife was ready to head home. The river looked good and was on slow rise. The fish were holding up in the deep water around current breaks(trash piles). Cant wait to go again.

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, James. Persistence paid off for you, and having that gal with the halo along didn't hurt your luck, either. :big_smile: Glad to hear some water's rising. Most everyplace I've been lately is extremely low.
    I think I'm going in saltwater today. catch ya later...

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just wanted to remind everyone interested that Pee Dee Catmasters is having our final tment on Aug 25th for the American Cancer Society. You can check out the details in our tournament thread or PM me. Thanks

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Went to the river on Wed night kinda a spur of the moment thing but wife was going to have to work late and then had other stuff to do so we(me and my dog) loaded up and headed for the river. Catching bait was nearly impossible I think I ended up with 6 bream and a 1lb jack fish, never have used 1 but bait was slim so I thought I would give him a try. I didnt get down there until after dark and didnt get to far from the boat ramp due to extreme low water and the dog wasnt much help with holding the Qbeam.LOL
    Befor I even got the third rod out I had a flathead on a live bream about 10lbs. The small blues .5-3lbs drove me nuts hitting my live eels but I ended up putting some small cut eel on and caught around 2million of them.LOL Caught 2 more flatheads in the 5-10lb range and then the big jack fish got hit and it was a great fight. That flathead moved around that river like a rock fish would finnally got him up to the side of the boat and when he rolled on his side he opened his mouth and out came the bait oh well looked like he would have easily went 30+lbs. Caught 1 more flathead 16lbs and the only bait I had left was that dead jack fish so I cut him in 2 peices and put him out and a gar got 1 peice and a 23lb flathead got the other. It was very fast paced I was almost wore out cause all that happened from 9pm-12:15am and I was outta bait and it was time to head home.

19. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thats a good thing to be tired from though.Looks like you got a new bait too.

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Great report, James. Sounds like you had a good trip, for sure. :big_smile: