Big Pee Dee River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CaTmAnDo55, Apr 11, 2007.

1. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    has anyone fished the pee dee lately, just wondering how its been going and if the fish are doing anything

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thomas I went 2 weeks ago and the smaller blues(10-15lbs) were biting decent but the fishing was overall slow. We had a few smaller flatheads pick up the bait and spit right out. We had a tment in society hill last weekend and the fishing was real slow but we caught some real nice blues a nd a few flatheads. I am going to the pee dee in the morning and will give a report tommorow afternoon.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The water temps are still too low for the fish to be smokin hot but we had a decent day on the water. I carried my friends son today and all he wanted to do was to catch a new biggest fish cause his largest was a 15lb blue. We pulled into the 1st hole and I baited the 1st rod with live shiner and the next with live bream and before I could put a live eel on the third rod the 1st rod was loaded up. I handed him the rod and the fight was on. In just a matter of minutues he had shattered his alltime best with a 27lb flathead. That was the most exciting thing all day. We fished from 7:30am-3pm and only put 3 more in the boat and they were 10-15lb blues. He was so excited all day and it was a wonderful trip. A nice day for a 15 year old to spend a day of spring break. The eels by far were the bait of choice but nothing was biting to active. Nothing but the sun.LOL

Attached Files:

4. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Sounds like it was a great trip, Thanks for the report.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The water temp was 58.5deg. If it will climb up around 65 and hold there consistentaly it will really turn the fish on. Those flatheads are still kinda inactive. The 1 we caught had mud all over his belly like he was just laying around. I reckon I threw that big shiner right in front of his face. We did get quite a few bites on the eels but they were very slow faint bites.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Here are some pics of last friday I carried my 5 year old nephew with me and we boated 7 blues in the 8-15lb range.

Attached Files:

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    James, I know your club makes an effort to take kids fishing, and you are all to be commended for that. There is nothing more special to me than to see the smile on a kid's face after catching a nice fish. They will remember those trips forever. Thanks to you and all others who take children fishing. :big_smile: Those are great pics.

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Got back to the river yesterday with some buddys of mine there kids and my wife. We fished for about 2 hours with only 2 bites and the wife and all of the kids wanted to go to Pamplico beach(local sandbar) and go swimming so this was a short lived fishing trip. We spent the rest off the day watching those kids swim in that 70deg water. There was no way I was getting in. We had a wonderful time though. I hope to see some of you this weekend at the tournament at Dewitts Bluff we should have a good crowd. I have lots of door prizes to give away. Good luck to everyone.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Had the tournament yesterday with huge amounts of fish caught mostly on live bream and live eels. Not too many big boys but lots and lots in 5-10lb range with lots of flatheads. I even saw a few flatheads that were about 4-6 inches long I tried to keep one alive to put in my fish tank but he didnt live very long. I hat that he died but he must have had too much stress before he made it to the weigh-in. I want you to know someone brought him there to make there 3 fish limit. Now that is taking your fishing a little to serious. The fish are biting good and I hope to get on them wed. and thurs. I will have a report.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Got to the river today and carried my cousin on his first catfish trip. Not a very productive day but we did manage to catch one 7lb flathead. We had a few bites and 1 really big fish that got us hung up but all in all we just had a good time.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Me and blackwatercatz hooked up and went fishing yesterday morning. Caught a 15lb blue right off the bat on a crappie head and things were looking up from my 1 fish day on wed, but it never looked up. We fished until dark and only picked up 2 nore smaller blues about 5-10lbs. Had most of our bites on live eel but caught fish on live eel, live bream, and cut crappie. Had a great time and it was good to get back on the water with Tommy.

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't been on much lately, but thanks again, James for the invite. :smile2:
    Have you had a chance to fish the river any this week? I was on the lakes a couple days working, and will finish out gill netting on winyah, maybe get to do some real fishing by the weekend, I hope...:wink:

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No But me and my brother were wanting to go this evening but it looks like the rain is holding us off.

14. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    my wife and i went fishing sat. night at the hwy 76 landing and the catfish weren't doing too much. there were only three boats at the landing including us and usually you have to hunt a place to park.. we got there late at about 9:00 and fished till about 1:30 sunday morning and finally got one to bite. caught that one, it was a 8 1/2 lb flathead, caught on a live bream. rebaited with another live bream, threw out and in about 5 mins had another bite and lost that one.. about 10 minutes later i had a bit on a piece of cut mullet and lost that one. we sat there till about 2:30 and didnt have another bite..

15. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    They weren't biting upstream either. My neighbor and one of his buddies put in Saturday at Society Hill about 1800 hrs and fished until 0130 and caught only one 6 lb blue. They were fishing with live and cut bait.

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The fish have been biting aliitle strange in the river but I think it is cause the big ones are spawning and the smaller ones are getting ready to. Spent a few days at the river this weekend a nd didnt fish much or very hard but between me and my buddy there were 7 fish and 3 around 20#. The big ones are startring to feed heavy sooooooon. The fish were feeding from about 3pm-10pm this weekend. Im going back to the river this weekend and I hope to have a better report.

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC swamprat. It is good to have another pee dee rat on this site it is my favorite place to fish.