Big Pee Dee River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CaTmAnDo55, Feb 23, 2007.

1. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i am a big fan of fishing the big pee dee river and i was just wondering how the water conditions are and if its still high. me and my buddy fish it non stop in the spring and summer months and i cant get enough of it

2. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I don't have time to look for it for you right now but if you will go to the USGS website they have real time (as in right now) data on of most any lake, river, or creek with a name in the US. It will give you the water level info anda record of up to the last 31 days. I use it all the time. It's a very good tool to have for anybody who spends much time on the water.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thomas the river is at 9ft and dropping the color is still alittle muddy but should be cleared up by middle of the week it is suppse to level out around 8.5ft. I too am a pee dee addict I fish there every chance I have which is usually 4-5 times a week. Where do you fish out of. We are having another tment on march 10 at dewiits bluff I hope you can come fish with us. I hope by then the water temps will get up above 50deg so we can hammer those flatties again.

4. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    hey james i usually put in at 76 bridge and head down river about 3-5 miles i my buddy and i had that area locked down last year we were really nailin the blues and flatties but i sure love them fatties and you can count on me being at that tourny with my good buddy we are so ready to get back on that river there aint nothing like it. I will check your web site for the tourny info and thankyou for the invite

5. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    thankyou very much for the info i will definitly keep my eye on that. you have been very helpful

6. HuntingHound

HuntingHound New Member

State:
    SC
    While at the Tackle Box in Johnsonville (had to buy some more hook's & weights) they showed me a picture of 90# cat caught last week on Pee Dee. The person showing the pic was not sure if it was caught by rod & reel or bush hook. Still a 90 lber!!

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I going to the tackle box tommorow I will have to check that out. Most likely on a limb line that about the only way people in the river no how to catch them. Im just kidding I cant wait to see it.

8. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    thats an amazing fish i guess we all better get out there and catch something like that this year

9. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    was it a blue or a flatty

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Had to have been a blue if was a flatty it would have shattered the state record by 11lbs I believe.

11. HuntingHound

HuntingHound New Member

State:
    SC
    Kim was the person I spoke with. She told me it was a flattie, which would shatter the current state record! The picture she has in the store is a belly shot. The only other pic taken was sent into SC fish & game Magazine. Sorry I can't tell you for sure if it is flat or blue.

12. HuntingHound

HuntingHound New Member

State:
    SC
    If I am right the current official SC record for a flattie is 79 lbs.-4 oz.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    It has to be on rod and reel to make the state records. Big fish either way though.

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It was a 76lb flathead that was caught on live crappie on a trot line in the big pee dee river a couple of weeks ago. It is a shame that someone would kill a fish that big. In a few months when that fish starts feeding hard I guarentee he would have tipped the scales at 80+lbs.

15. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    hey rivercat my buddy knows where dewitts landing is but its been a while since hes been there about how far is it by river from 76

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    From dewitts bluff landing to the 301-76 bridge is 19 miles by boat. Most people fish in about the halfway piont between the two landings behind the paper mill lagoon pond.