Big Pee Dee River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rivercatsc, Oct 1, 2006.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Does anyone fish the pee dee river. I mainly fish there and would like to know about others fishing there. I hear about people going to all these other lakes and rivers but no one ever talks about the Pee Dee. I will guarentee just as good or better flathead action than anywhere in SC. Come check it out sometime.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You've convinced me, James. I know there are some folks that fish the river up into NC, and a few that live in that part of SC, too, but never have read too many posts. I can promise you I'll be doing more fishing up that way. Do you use the landing at Yauhannah much?

3. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    going to try the pee dee this week were gonna put in at yuhannah we thought about going to the little pee dee and catching some bait and the trying to fish the log jams unless tommy wents to give up some secrets,just kidding but any other info would be great thanks

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Help an upcountry fellow out: Where is yuhannah?

5. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yuhannah(sp) is on hwy 701 just south of bucksport u can put in under the bridge sometimes the current is strong and loading up can be a bear

6. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I work 4 miles from the Cheraw landing-I usually pull my boat to work when I plan on fishing.We fish the stretch from Blewitt Dam to Society Hill when the water lets us.Yes we have caught big Flatheads up to 31 lbs.,but have caught bigger Blues.(40+)Fished Friday picked up 2 small ones,got coooold after dark,had to head for the truck.

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey rivercatsc aren't you giving up information on your secret fishing spots...wow what a boc brother!!!!:big_smile:

Ill have to slide down there and give it a try...thanks for the info...

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, Rivercatsc doesn't get online sometimes due to his work schedule. I freely share information about my fishing, but if you or anyone else shares something privately with me, I keep it to myself unless that person ok's it. That's only fair to them. Most folks share info; some more than others. If a person doesn't want to share his or her locations, that is fine with me. Even though I may get a lead on a good spot, it doesn't guarantee fish in the boat.
    PeeDee River has the same type structure, meaning log jams or trash piles over it's entire length, or at least everywhere I've fished. Santee River and Black River, which also are near where I live, are much the same. Access is via public landings, but there are also some privately owned landings, which I am lucky enough to have access to in a couple of cases. Where we launched has nothing to do with where we caught fish. We traveled miles up and down river looking for and fishing those log jams. Some produced fish, but at least as many did not.

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    well your quote says it all if it were easy everybody would be doing it and braggin about catches....I was thanking him(rivercatsc) for the tip and did not mean to infer or imply anything...

I have no problem sharing info to help others catch cats..

You do never hear anyone talking about big cats out of the pee dee it's usually santee the james or here in nc it's kerr lake or cape fear...but I am always looking for a new place to fish (you know the road less traveled) or in this case the rivers not heavily fished...

HAVE BOAT WILL TRAVEL....

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Naw, I understand what you were saying, John. No problem. Hope I didn't come across the wrong way in my post. I was just trying to explain why James hasn't responded yet, and why I don't take it on myself to give out more info, just showing respect to my host, ya know. :smile2: Maybe I should keep my flapper shut sometimes. hehe
    I've only fished with him once, and he strikes me as a straight shooter, but I wouldn't want to offend him (or anyone else) unintentionally by divulging what may be, to him, private info. We were in SC below 76, and that is a beautiful river for cats. I want to get back up that way real soon, myself. Maybe we can get together sometime. I guess that water will start cooling down pretty fast before long. Don't know what kind of luck those fellas up that way have with flats in the cold water. I don't usually do much good with them myself.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I dont mind anyone knowing where i fish if I did I would not have started this thread. I fish mainly from pamplico to georgetown on the river ther are 6 public landings on the river. I do chose some of the smaller landings due to fishing pressure i do most of my fishing in the yauhanah/tanyard area which is where the big and little peedee rivers come together. Above the little pee dee seems to yield more and bigger flattiesa and blues and below yauhanah seem to produce mainly bluses. I dont really know about channells cause I mainly target big fish with live baits so I dont pick to many of them up. I do practice catch and release on any fish over 20# and most of the time on all fish. I am happy to fish with anyone to show them every hole I have cause as long as we keep releaseing the big dogs there will be plenty to go around for everyone. I dont normally work alot but seeem to be lately. Hope to go to georgetown next week to try out somer hammer blues and maybe catch a new record for me. I will share pics and a story. Yauhanah is deep and narrow with some trah piles and is a wonderful place to catch blues. Flatheads are more upriver thjough. Good luck and will always keep u updated on what is biting I have no secrets among brothers. Thank you Tommy for your concern.

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Going to Georgetown @ the ballpark to try some blues out on monday if anyone is going to be around.

13. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a 19' center console bay boat, are there allot of rock piles and trash just below the surface or is the river deep...

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, most of the river is pretty clean down the center. No rockpiles, but lots of logjams along the edges. That's the places to target.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I should have brought my fishing gear with me. Live in West Virginia but doing some contracting work in the Myrtle Beach area.

16. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Up our way,everytime a good tree falls in the river or a good logjam washes up,the Cheraw parks & recreation people will go clean it out. They keep it clean for the people who canoe & kayak.They are ruining the fishing here trying improve the scenery.

17. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I heard that it was good.

18. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    we fished the pee dee on friday.we went up into jerdons lake to catch some bait and caught some great shellcrackers (about a lb to lb and a half)that was fun in itself.fished till about 4 am caught 2 flatties about 10-12 lbs.fished between 701 bridge and little pee dee.didnt get any blues though both fish were caught on bream also used some fresh mullet but no bites,my partner put on one of those big shellcrackers and it wasnt down 5 min.and the rod bent to the water and the drag was screming(had it pretty tight)but never turned it would have loved to see it but its still there looking for some big bait.

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, Joe. Glad you guys had a good trip, and I wish I could have been there with ya!:smile2: I hooked into a couple like the one that got away, when I was there recently; they're still swimming, too. :embarassed:

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    sounds like you fellas had the right approach jordan lake to the little pee dee river is ideal i wish i could have meet up with yall. Im sorry i have not been on lately but i have a broke pc try to check in later though.