Big Pee Dee River 6-16-08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rivercatsc, Jun 16, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Fish from around 10am-5pm and caught 7 fish 1 flathead and 6 blues all were decent fish but again no big fish. All in the low to middle teens. Most fish were caught on cut eell and a few on live bream. I caught a 4' long banded water snake on a live eel in 20ft of water and it was the freakiest thing i have ever seen. I have never seen this before and hope it never happens again. The Pee Dee never ceases to amaze me.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great report, James. Many water snakes can be downright ornery. Did you release it unharmed? I've never caught a snake on a rod and reel before. In Cheraw Saturday, at the bottom of the boat ramp, a good sized moccasin swam up to the surface of the water. He was fanned out like a cobra as he had obviously just swallowed a fish. Very small children had been swimming there all day. Freaked out a bunch of parents. Glad you got some fish, even if there were no monsters.
    BB in SC

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah we released him all right. My buddy cut him up and tried fishingwith him and caught 2 gars. He had that 8/0 hook swallowed all the way to the swivel. I dont think he would have lived anyways. If it would have been just me in the boat I would have released him with the line from the reel cause I would have cut it. My buddy grabbed the sanle and cut his head off. NOT ME. It was crazy cause I just caught a 14lb blue and no sooner than throwing him back in a 12lb flathead smoked my buddies rod and when he got it in the boat my other rod loaded up and I thought I had a blue the way it hit and i could feel it head shackin but it was a SNAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just hope it never happens again.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    WOW! No idea a snake could hit that hard! Amazing!
    BB in SC

5. countryboy1616

countryboy1616 New Member

State:
    Darlington, S.C.
    Wow James what a story. You where still able to navigate ok with the water so low ? Bill and James I would love to get together with ya and fish soon. I haven't fished the big pee dee that much and would love to learn more about it, the do's and dont's. Mainly from a fishing stanpoint but also a safety one.

Thanks

Rohn

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Rohn when it gets low you have to just take your time and know where to go amd not to go. I would be more than happy to get together with you or anyone else and show them the way I do it.

7. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc

You can't beat an offer like that !!