Big Pee Dee River 4 12 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Put in at Blue's today, and went downstream to Three Creeks and fished our way back. River was PERFECT, on a gentle rise. Took my 9 year old grandson for his first catfishin' trip on the Pee Dee. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I have been waiting on my grandson to mature enough to take fishing. Yesterday, we went crappie jigging at Lake Paul Wallace here in Bennettsville. Caught a few. Even caught a 4 pound cat on a crappie jig and a bream buster pole. That was exciting! I'd rather pull one cat than a hundred crappie! :) Most importantly. Justin, my grandson, did exactly like I told him to. The fish weren't biting too good, and he still stayed with it very patiently. I decided at that point he was ready for a river trip. Well, as we were fishing our way back up river this morning, I had a hog hit one of the rods! The minute I started wrestling him in, another rod bent over. I was apprehensive as I didn't know if Justin could handle a large fish without losing my rod and reel in the river! :) Anyhow, we landed them BOTH. As fate would have it, the one on my rod was 18.2 pounds, and Justin's was 5 pounds even. I have NO idea how it would have worked out if he had had the bigger fish on. :) Justin caught one more two pound blue and that was it. It was hard to find the fish today. There were just a few certain places where the masses were congregating. Anywhere we found fish on the sonar, we got bites, but there was a LOT of looking for them. One more point of interest. Thanks to catmaster James, I am SOLD on Gamakatsu circle hooks. I bought some of them in the 8.0 size. I assure you that any legitimate take down will result in a hook up with these hooks. If your line will hold him, he WON'T get off! BTW: I use a snell knot with these hooks and fifty pound test mono for my leaders. All in all, a GREAT day that Justin and I won't be forgetting! To my fishin' pard peglegreb: Watch out buddy. If you don't get your mind off turkey hunting and drag racing, my new little pard is going to catch up with you! :) BTW again. We used shad for bait, and released all fish caught.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good report and pics, Bill. I'm happy for your grandson, too. I'm also a firm believer in the gama circles. I use them almost exclusively. Keep up the catchin' :big_smile:

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the reports and pics thats some nice fish you all caught

4. bobr

bobr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hi Bill,
    Three of us from the upstate are coming down next weekend to fish the Big PeeDee. We've only fished it once before, two years ago. We'll be trying further down river from Georgetown back up river. We know almost NOTHING about this river! Can you help us out? We need any information you can share with us.

Thanks
    bobr

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    bobr: I have never fished that area of the river before, but I'm sure many folks here can help you out with the info you need. perhaps you can start a new thread pertaining to your needs and it will probably be answered quickly. If y'all ever get up this way, I'll be happy to do a trip with you.
    BB in SC

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bob welcome to the BOC. Give me a little more info on where you are planning on fishing and I should be able to help you out. I fish that area pretty reguarlly.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill great report and keep up the good work. That grandson of yours will never forget that trip. Gotta love those good ole Gama hooks.

8. bobr

bobr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hi RiverCat,

Me and my buddies plan to fish up river from georgetown, looking for Big Cats. Where should we put the boat in at and how far up? Any info would be appreciated. We went down 2 yrs. ago, stayed in Lake City and fished up the river but we are from Greenville,S.C. and don't have any knowledge of the river, couldn't find but one landing to put in at close by.

Thanks Bob

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If it were me I would go all the wat to georgetown and put in at the East Bay St Landing(The Ballpark) and fish up the Pee Dee and the Waccamaw rivers. The blues are loaded up down there still and this will be tidal water so as long as you hace current the fish should bite. Try and stay on the edge of the river channels and lokk for fish and structure. Fish around the bridge pillons with fresh cut bait and use a cork on your leader to keep bait floated up off the bottom or the crabs will drive you nuts. If you can catch afew crabs they make good bait also. Good luck.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bob, there is Yauhannah landing on the Horry County side of the bridge on US 701 north of Georgetown, and some fine-looking places along there to fish. That may be a good place to try also.