Big Pee Dee River 3 22 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Fish bit good all night according to the folks who fished last night. We got there at daybreak. At that precise time the river started dropping and had dropped about 18 inches in the six hours we fished. The falling river completely shut the bite down. Hard to believe that the bite can turn on and turn off that quickly. There have been exceptions to the rule, but generally speaking, a falling river = No/FEW fish. I have the river hydrolog saved in my favorites, and can tell what the discharge and level is doing before I leave home. This morning it was PERFECT when we left home. Even with the log, you never know WHEN they will open and shut the gates. Still had as good time at the river. The shad guys were doing ok. I'll take tomorrow off, and I really need to work a day or so first part of the week to get more gas for next week's fishin'! (Unless I catch the river in a gentle rise) :)
    BB in SC

2. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We got on the river around 9am-caught 1 flathead just shy of 26lbs. in 15' water on bream head.Like you said,river was dropping fast.-Rode around mostly fine tuning the new Humminbird.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Where did y'all put in screaminclickersc?
    BB

4. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We put in @ Cheraw-went down river about 4 miles on the left side.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Cool deal SC... There's some good fishin' out of Cheraw too!
    BB

6. MEBrown

MEBrown New Member

State:
    SC
    Good afternoon guys. First post here, put in at Bluffs Sat. about noon to kill time. That was all we did was kill time. Went upstream from the landing and mostly rode around. Still trying to figure out this river fishing.
    Michael

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC, Michael. Keep at it and check out the BOC library. Lots of fine folks and great info here!
    Bill in Bennettsville

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I forgot to add, the netters spent the weekend down at Blue's. They set a heap of limb lines Friday night. They used shad and bream as bait. All the lines with shad had fish, and NONE of the bream baited lines had anything. I love bream for bait, but I guess you have to go with what the fish are mostly feeding on during the particular time of the year you are fishing.
    BB in SC

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC Micheal. Where on the Pee Dee did you put in at? Keep the post coming there river should be on fire in the next few weeks.

10. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    those fish there must read the same newsletter as our fish in okla. do. cause when the river starts falling they act the same way. a person outta just turn around and go back to the house. but i can't ever do that. it ain't in my blood.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well I didn't get the info from a newsletter. First hand experience through the years has led me to that observation, at least for the blues.
    BB in SC

12. MEBrown

MEBrown New Member

State:
    SC
    We put in at Bluff landing and went upstream. Used Shad, but had better conversation than fishing. We'll figure it out soon I hope.