Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fish bit good all night according to the folks who fished last night. We got there at daybreak. At that precise time the river started dropping and had dropped about 18 inches in the six hours we fished. The falling river completely shut the bite down. Hard to believe that the bite can turn on and turn off that quickly. There have been exceptions to the rule, but generally speaking, a falling river = No/FEW fish. I have the river hydrolog saved in my favorites, and can tell what the discharge and level is doing before I leave home. This morning it was PERFECT when we left home. Even with the log, you never know WHEN they will open and shut the gates. Still had as good time at the river. The shad guys were doing ok. I'll take tomorrow off, and I really need to work a day or so first part of the week to get more gas for next week's fishin'! (Unless I catch the river in a gentle rise) :)
BB in SC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good afternoon guys. First post here, put in at Bluffs Sat. about noon to kill time. That was all we did was kill time. Went upstream from the landing and mostly rode around. Still trying to figure out this river fishing.
Michael

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the BOC, Michael. Keep at it and check out the BOC library. Lots of fine folks and great info here!
Bill in Bennettsville

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to add, the netters spent the weekend down at Blue's. They set a heap of limb lines Friday night. They used shad and bream as bait. All the lines with shad had fish, and NONE of the bream baited lines had anything. I love bream for bait, but I guess you have to go with what the fish are mostly feeding on during the particular time of the year you are fishing.
BB in SC

·
Registered
248 Posts
those fish there must read the same newsletter as our fish in okla. do. cause when the river starts falling they act the same way. a person outta just turn around and go back to the house. but i can't ever do that. it ain't in my blood.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I didn't get the info from a newsletter. First hand experience through the years has led me to that observation, at least for the blues.
BB in SC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.