Big Pee Dee River 11-07-08 - Blue Catfish and Flathead Catfish :)

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rivercatsc, Nov 7, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I am in the middle of working a 17 day shutdown at my mill without any days off so I have been really wanting to go fishing.:embarassed: Well before we got off thursday morning the boss asked if anyone wanted a day off and I did so I ended up with last night off. Well I slept for 1/2 of my day off yesterday and got up to catch some bait to hit the river ths morning. I have to work tonight so I slept kinda late before heading to the river today so I wouldnt be tottally exhausted tonight. We got to the river around 9am and fished until 2pm. The fishing was a little slow but steady. We caught 5 blues in the 5-10lb range and 2 flatheads 4lbs,15lbs. Had a BIG flathead on and my buddy Chad got him up beside the boat and the hook came unglued :confused2: he was easily 40+lbs but probablly closer to 50lbs. I hammered him all day about his el-cheapo hooks and he kept saying they worked just fine well I bet he wishes he had a Gama on there.:wink: All fish were caught on live and cut eel except the smaller flathead which I caught on a 1/2lb live channel cat. Great day on the water but it sure would have been nice to put that big flathead in the boat but hey we would have released him anyway just a little faster than expected. Well I better get off of here and head back to work.:confused2:

2. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like a great trip to the river and just look at it this way, you were just leaving the big flattie for later when you didn't have to rush off to work...lol congrats

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for that report, James. I was up that way a couple of days ago, only got to fish for an hour or so, but managed 2 blues and a flathead, but none were more than 8 lbs or so. Caught them on some finger mullet that I had frozen last week.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great way to spend you time off, congrats on a good catch

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    James,
    Welcome back from the work thing. Lots of OT for the holidays and future boat projects.
    I had one buddy that couldnt tie knots. After losing seveal fish I told him I had to tie all the rigs on the boat, lol.
    Dont work too hard-been missing the posts.
    Lindsay

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    James , Glad yas was able to get a day off!:crazy: I'm more glad yas was able to fish.:big_smile: Nice catch and thanks for the report.

7. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT TIME ON YOUR DAY OFF I TOO HAVE BEEN CONVINCED BOUT GAMO HOOKS THE CHEEPER ONES COST ME A BIG N AT MY FIRST TOURNY WITH THE PEE DEE CATMASTERS

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Sounds like a good trip to me. How do you catch your eels? We catch them hook and line on the Cape Fear and I've been trying to figure out a way to get them without having to waste half the day trying to catch bait.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wes I buy mine wholesale from up your way. I usually by about 200-300 at the time. Actually me and my buddies wait until we all need them and get 1000 at the time. I have a 250 gallon livewell here at the house that I keep them in. I fish them alive mostly but I do like the bigger ones for cutbait. I have caught them before in an eell trap and on rod-n-reel butI have been buying them for the last 5 years wholesale cause when I get ready to go fishing Im ready to go fishing.

10. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    James
    Do they make a slime-less model ?????????

11. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Hey James,
    That's the reason I'm not coming to your house for Thanksgiving....250 EELS... AAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    LOL.
    Good catch there. Glad you could escape 1 day from work and make it a worth while fishing trip. As they say "All work and no play..."
    See ya soon,
    Jonathan

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Johnathan if I actually get some time off next week maybe we can get back to the river.:wink: The flatheads were turned on pretty good.

13. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Let me know when you thinking of going. I've got the hospital pager this week, but not next week. Same landing near Conway on 378 or you thinking of another spot?
    Email me if you want and we can go from there.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan
    PS. I'll even try to overcome my fear of EELS but it might take a few beers...
    bearfrog1@yahoo.com

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I will have a better idea on what next week holds by friday morning. I will let you know.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    What's the name of the place you get them from and about how much do they run? I'm thinking of getting a bait tank set up(one of my many winter projects that probably won't get done:smile2:)

16. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Guess another question to go with the above is: What do you feed the captives and how often?

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You dont feed them. They will leave up to 12 months without eating and they dont last that long around the house.:smile2:

18. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    So basically starve the prisoners until the day that the deathrow calls their names...lol

19. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    You guys seem to be using eels pretty regularly down there in the Pee Dee. I wonder how well they would work in the Saluda? A few guys I work with have been catching 6-8lb flats using live bream, but they're telling me that the bite's been pretty slow lately. I wonder if introducing something new would perk them up a bit. Something to ponder....