Big Pee Dee River 10 17/18

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    First off, James said:

< P.S.- I plan on going to the river this weekend and catching 1 bigger.:wink:> (than peglegrebs 54 pounder)

Well, that was MY plan too, but plans don't always come together! :smile2: Me and a friend watched the weather and he said "they" said 20&#37; chance of showers. We were hoping to slip in a good day before the front came through. We did have a great start, catching a 17, 14 and 4 pound flattie pretty quick. 'Bout that time it started sprinkling rain, then I got harder, and harder and harder. Fortunately HE had brought TWO ponchos, so they helped. It finally quit raining, and we started to move to another spot. Before we could get to it, it started raining, and rained the REST of the night! We fished through it all we could stand, and finally pulled up on a sand bar to rest. Even with the ponchos, we were pretty much soaked by then. Chris found the dry side of a huge sycamore tree, and was attempting to start a fire from bark and toilet paper. Needless to say, that didn't work in a driving rain! :smile2: Fortunately, I had one of those fire starter slab deals that you light to make a fire. Shortly afterwards, he had a fine fire going! We waited for about two hours hoping that the rain would subside so we could continue fishing, but it never let up. After THIRTY beers, and a few shots of vodka, and since the rain wouldn't let up, Chris decided it was time to take a nap, so he slept for a couple of hours. He was BAREFOOTED ALL night, and slept on a soaking wet ground in the rain. :eek:oooh: Never seen anything quite like it! :wink:BTW: Even after all the alcohol he drank, his demeanor never changed much, and he was VERY helpful getting the fire going and helping keep things organized. He's a good boat man and fisherman. I slept two hours in my chair, inside the parka. About daylight, the rain stopped. We were actually quite well rested, even under less than stellar conditions. We fished more this morning and I caught one more fish, a 9 pound channel. When we cleaned the channel, his gullet was full of mussels, so I assume that the channels and blues are still cruising the rock bars at night. Water temp was 72 degrees, and all fish were caught on live or cut bream. All three flatties were released. We relieved the river of a heap of set hooks that were there when we got there yesterday afternoon about 2 o:clock, and were still there at noon today. They were fresh rigs, and I know someone will be pissed, but when you leave the lines unattended, running during illegal hours, and not marked with name tags, they are simply more LITTER as far as I am concerned. None were baited, and just dangling there with bare hooks stretched out in all the holes I fish. I have nothing against limb lines run diligently and legally, but if they are left unattended, and during illegal hours, they SHOULD be removed by any conscientious river keeper. They are DANGEROUS when left like that. We also picked up a LOT of other river debris. I have pics of our trip, but for some reason I can't upload the pics from my chip to the computer right now. Nothing special anyhow with the fish, but I did hope to post a pic of a man sleeping barefooted on the ground during a hard rain! We had a blast! :smile2: Heck, he had so much fun, he recruited peglegreb to go back tonight and repeat the process! I'd really like to have a web cam on THAT pair!!!!!!! :wink:
    Bill in BTW: Another thing is that the river DROPPED about three feet while we were there. The Pee Dee goes up and down like a yoyo, most times, (because of the power dam at Blewitt Falls) and that , I think, is a major reason we don't always have greater success.

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thanks for the report Bill.:wink: I'll salute ya both on the trash pic up!:big_smile: Good job!:wink: I've been known to pick up a bunch of illegal trash myself.:wink: About 3 bags worth this year. :big_smile: I never target "Flatnoggens" but, maybe next year I can come your way for a few days and you can teach me some stuff about the Pee Dee.:big_smile: I only need a 10 lb flat for a new PB on that spieces.:big_smile:

Ya'll drank "Man dranks" ,I know I'd fit in!:smile2:

3. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Would rep ya bill, but I can't yet... lol Thanks for pickin up! :smile2:

4. peglegreb

peglegreb New Member

State:
    s.c.
    cris was to drunk to do much. had two hits and that was it. cris got to cold to fish any longer. so i tock him home.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < Ya'll drank "Man dranks" ,I know I'd fit in!:smile2:>

I don't, drink Pop Pop, but have no problem with those who do, as long as it doesn't make 'em foolish. Some folks get a beer or two in 'em and get loud and fool as heck. For those that CAN handle the man colas and act right, you are certainly welcome to go with me.
    Bill in SC

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'll go ahead and get you guys set up on the prayer request list for pneumonia... howz that?