Big Pee Dee Aprils fools day

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We found the river in a near neutral state late this afternoon. Boy it was pretty! We didn't set the woods on fire, but we had a good time. Caught my first flattie of the season. David caught a small bowfin, and a five or six pound blue.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, perhaps not a flattie but a yaller channel. Not the usual silvery colored channels like we normally catch :)
    BB

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ha - I was wondering about that! I looked at the pics and was looking for the flathead and, well there was this channel, but where's the flathead?

Hey Bill - you mentioned before that you like to target the flatheads up that way. Do you do the usual (by my standards) live bait fishing after dark kind of thing, or do you have a different take on targeting flatheads?

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    JA: When we are stalking flatheads, we pull up into the snaggiest mess we can find and drop live bream straight down to them. We try to keep lights at a minimal.
    BB

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Funny about the lights, I notced a "hat light" on you, but it was obviously daylight. Guess you got an early start?

You must use some pretty heavy tackle to get a flathead back out of the "snaggiest mess" that you can find?

On the Edisto things are pretty open - some good cover along the banks, but the open water is pretty much open - not many snags, so I got away with 15 lb mono for a few years even on some very nice fish. I started fishing the lower Santee last year and pretty much every bit of nice water is full of large submerged snags. Good flathead water, but hard to land fish. So far I haven't been able to bring myself to upsize everything to much heavier line. I do have one "heavy" outfit filled with 20 lb big game. Maybe I just need another dedicated set of rods with Abu 7000's loaded with 30 pound Big Game? I think I'll try explaining that one to my wife tonight.

I guess I am just "fishing" for suggestions.

BTW, want some company fishing the Pee Dee some time? I'd love to see the area and how you approach it.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We did start at about 5 ocklock yesterday. As soon as it got dark, they quit biting. We LOSE a lot of the big flatties due to NOT having heavy enough equipment. (line) Going to rectify that this year as I am preparing to switch over to 80# Power Pro braided. Should work out just fine.
    BB in SC

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If I could fiqure out how to get it threw the eyelet I would tie a hook on the anchor line and winch those big flatheads out.LOL

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats some nice looking fish thanks for the pictures

9. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Thanks for the info on the snags and the flatheahs I think we may try a little late evening flathead fishing on PEEDEE.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, I made a run from 34 up to Blue's yesterday, and it has some really good looking spots for cats. I fully intend to make a fishing trip up there if I can get slowed down, maybe in another week or so. There are an awful lot of limb lines up that way, for sure, as they are below 34 bridge. I see a few guys coming from the Johnsonville area to fish lines up there, too.
    Last Monday was the lowest I've personally seen the water since I started going up that way, and it is really hard to get past the rock there just above the 34 bridge. Might have to take up a new friend on an offer of a key to his camp upstream....:wink: