Big Pee Dee 8/8/'09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We put in at Blue's about ten Saturday morning. I wanted to get back on the river, after a not too stellar trip to the Santee Wednesday. We didn't have any intention of fishin' until it got dark as it was much too hot to fish during the daylight hours. We caught bait, floated, swam, and just basically killed time until dark. We went downstream almost to 34, and commenced to fishin' right before dark. Chris caught a flattie about five pounds. In his drunkenness, he let the fish flop and dropped my digital scale, breaking it! I told him we were gonna need that scale this night, and sure enough, the next fish was a hammer blue. With no scale, I had to estimate the weight. I surmised that the fish was between 40 and 45 pounds. We caught five more flatties, five to ten pounds or so. We decided to call it a night about 3 a.m. when Chris couldn't hardly sit up in the chair anymore. Nonetheless, it was a pretty good night. The river was pretty low but we made the 25 mile round trip with no mishaps. Here are a few pics:
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    More pics:

Attached Files:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Few more: BTW: We had about a two hour period where we were bombarded by some sort of insect. The whole boat was about an inch deep in them. They looked like wax worms with wings. It was almost like being in a horror movie. The whole boat floor was "crawling" with the flies, and very slick to walk on. They sounded like rain hitting the covering on the enclosure. As quickly as they came, they stopped, but the whole boat is still covered with them. I'll have to wash it out good later today. Weird to say the least. Oh yeah, all fish caught on bream heads.

BB in SC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Great report.Sorry about the scale.That looked like a really nice Blue.

5. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Super nice fish Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool2: Did you get any measurements? Length? Girth?

That is a big fish. Congratulations!

Now, bring him to Wateree and we'll use him for bait. :smile2:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  6. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Just goes to show you blues will hit anything when they are hungry.I soaked a breamhead for 6 hours last night with a different result....notta

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Nice Blue there Bill.:wink: Thanks for the report and pics.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    So are you saying you supply the beer too Bill?...LOL.

That's a really nice blue and the weight guess cant be argued either. Nice job guys, sounds relaxing ; )

-Jim-

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :eek:oooh:Wow Bill, WTG my buddy!

10. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Nice fish Bill,yep attack of the mayflies,they got my son on the last full moon trip.:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Nice report and nice pictures Bill. Reps to ya buddy:wink: Sorry bout yor scale:sad2:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < Did you get any measurements? Length? Girth?>

No, Gator. I did tell Chris that we should have, after the fact. Actually the fish had wrapped up several lines and we had kept it out of the water longer than I would have liked to, but it finally swam off, apparently ok. Normally I don't post multiple pics of one fish, but I wanted folks to see several angles so the weight I posted would not be in question.

<So are you saying you supply the beer too Bill?...LOL.>

I don't drink Jim, but my first mate drinks enough for several people! :eek:oooh: The river is too treacherous at night to navigate, especially when low, to be inebriated in any way, well, with alcohol anyhow.

< Nice fish Bill,yep attack of the mayflies,they got my son on the last full moon trip>

Mayflies, eh? I thought they might be. Wonder why they are called mayflies if they swarm in August? I guess the same reason they call June bugs June bugs, when they actually come out in July. :smile2:

I appreciate all the kind words. We catch fish pretty regularly on the Big Pee Dee, but the bigguns aren't so easy to come by and don't come as often as we would like. That's why I turn 'em all loose.

Bill in SC

13. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Great job Bill and Chris,thats some nice catches.Congrats on a Good and Safe Night:big_smile:

14. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    that's a nice peedee bluecat bill! sounded like a fun day......

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great report man! Congrats on the great day!!! rollo

16. Slimm

Slimm New Member

State:
    SC
    Great report and an awesome blue!

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing the trip. Bill congrats on a nice blue and flat. WTG. Enjoyed the pics.

18. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Sounds like an awesome trip man! Thanks for the pictures.

19. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    nice fish bill

20. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    congrats on the big blue and the flats.
    keep us posted!