Big Pee Dee 8 25 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dewayne (pacman) and I started fishin' at about 7 this morning. River is extremely low. Water temp was 81 degrees. The bite was SLOW as usual, but the gar activity was wild. Boy those suckers can ruin your day. They are especially bad during low water periods. Anyhow, I managed a 13.5 pound blue after fishing about an hour. Later on, I caught a 17 pound black looking cat with a wide mouth. I should have scrutinized him closer, as in retrospect, I think it may have been another big channel. Still later on, I caught an 18 pound blue. Dewayne had several nice hits, but was over anxious and started reeling before the rods loaded up good, thus resulting in fish getting off. It was agonizingly HOT, most of the day except when cloud cover floated by occasionally. Plumb miserable! Then, it finally clouded up and started pouring rain which I was thankful for. We fished pretty hard for 8 hours total, and between the gars and the few fish we caught, stayed fairly busy. Had a great time with Dewayne, as usual. I offered him the rear chair so he would have a better opportunity to catch fish, but he declined. We may do a night trip later in the week. It will be much more pleasant, with cooler night temps and NO gars. Man, I hate them gars! Aggravating to say the least.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great job Bill I am thinking of hitting the Little Pee Dee River and give them a try on Wed I hope. The week looks like a wash out down this way with rain But suppose to clear up by friday which is when I go back to work.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the report Bill. Sounds like a good day on the water, with a few nice fish.

Hard to be sure, but that 2nd pic does look like a male channel cat to me.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report, Looks/Sounds like a great day on the water! Keep us updated on future outings

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    John A, I think it was. Up until this year when I started seriously fishing for cats, all the channels I ever caught were in the 1 to 4 pound range, and were silvery looking' fish with spots. I had never been exposed to any of the big male "black" cats, either channel or blue. Man I have learned so much here on the BOC from it's fine folks, since I joined in Jan or Feb! I sincerely appreciate everyone's help and participation!
    Bill in SC

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    looks like a nice catch & a good time

7. countryboy1616

countryboy1616 New Member

State:
    Darlington, S.C.
    Great catch Bill, dog gone if you aint doing something right ! Bill do you keep all the fish to eat or turn some loose ?

Rohn

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Unless I have a swallowed hook, I release ALL the fish I catch. HOWEVER, after eating catfishwillie's fried fillets at our camp over the other week, I will start keeping ALL blues and channels less than 10 pounds. Catfish are as fine of eating of any fish swimming, IMHO.

<Great catch Bill, dog gone if you aint doing something right !>

No problem getting it done, but once again, it took EIGHT hours to catch those few fish! If you are in a rush to catch them at the Pee Dee, you might just as well stay home. I don't hurry and it doesn't matter to me how long it takes, but when I take folks with me, I like to produce as quickly as possible.

Bill in SC

9. fishfindersc

fishfindersc New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good looking blues, Bill. This is only giving me encouragement to get back to the Pee Dee again. Thanks for posting the pics.

10. countryboy1616

State:
    Darlington, S.C.
    Bill your right about how good of a eating catfish are. I used to keep some of the bigger ones but now hardly ever do, heck the small ones eat just fine.
    Anyone ever eaten carp ? I caught some at Santee this past weekend but thru um back. Just wondering

Rohn

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Never tried carp. I think they are bony.
    BB in SC

12. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I used to live next door to a guy that ate carp. Gave a whole new meaning to "stink up the pan". To each his own, I guess.....

13. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Yall aint never of the good recipie for carp?Well here it is,,get you a cedar plank(You know the grill salmon on cedar planks in high dollar places),butter the CEDAR plank good,then a small amount of lemon pepper on it,then place the carp fillet on the plank,put inside your grill for 20 minutes medium high,check to make sure the board/plank isnt on fire when its cooking.Take out of grill,take the carp fillet off,,throw it away and eat the cedar plank:eek:oooh:,,this is why you must check to make sure the cedar is not burning,burnt cedar taste bad:smile2:

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL, I heard that!!!!!!!
    BB in SC

15. countryboy1616

State:
    Darlington, S.C.
    Sam I have to admit that was pretty funny and probably about true.

Rohn