Big Pee Dee 8 22/23 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Got started late, expecting to catch a mess of bream for bait at a small farm pond close to the house that I can usually rely on. Two hours later, I had 8 bream. The water was real high and overflowing, and I guess that shut them down. Right at dark, I found where the overflow ran into the swamp, and the beavers had it dammed up. I cast in there and wham, caught 25 as fast as the bait hit the water! :) By then it was dark. I hate to put in on the river at dark. I would much rather be set up by nightfall. However, I was obligated to my grandson who wanted to go. We put in at Society Hill, and I eased up stream to the gas line. By now, my eager partner was ASLEEP in the bottom of the boat. Finally got the rods set at 10pm. Peglegreb was already fishing, and said they were NOT biting. Well, my first stop, I waited 2 hours. Then bam bam bam. Caught a 3 pound blue, a 15 and a 15 1/2 pound flathead. It was midnight, and Peglegreb and his girlfriend had had enough and left. I eased down to where they had been tied up. Sat there from midnight until 4 am. I decided they were not going to bite, so I reeled a rod in. As I was reeling it in, I noticed my left rear rod had the telltale sign of a flathead bite. I sat the reel I had just reeled in, in the rod holder, and about that time the flathead slammed the rod down. As I was fighting her in, I noticed that the rear of the boat was passing the front of the boat. I briefly thought the fish was pulling me around. At that time I saw that when the fish hit, she had pulled me loose from my tie up!
    The boat was free and spinning in the river with my other four rods out. I shouted for the kid to wake up and start reeling them in. By that time, it was too late and the four rods were tangled all to hell. By now I had the fish next to the boat. I told Justin to hold the rod with the fish, and NOT let the fish take my rod from him! I got all the tangled mess in, and we landed the fish. It was a nice 27 pound flattie. I'm sure this pales by some folks standards, but it was a good 'un for me! :big_smile: Justin went right back to sleep, and I fished until about 7:30 with no more bites. After daybreak this morning, I glimpsed a HUGE fish jumping out of the water. I set all the rods in the water for the last drop. I had my back turned towards the rear of the boat, and the HUGE fish jumped right in front of the boat. Sounded like somebody had thrown two bags of Sacrete in the water. Had to have been a Sturgeon, but I never saw it. Almost jumped in the boat with us the second time it jumped. There was a nice half moon that made the light just right to fish with no lights. Had a great time as usual! BTW: Sorry for the poor photos, but Justin was kinda groggy when he snapped them. They are good enough that you can see the bulk of the beast.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A 27 pound Flathead + current and possible high river condition would please me any day. Was the river rising? River fish fight harder to me but Love pulling them flatheads from 30 + of water. Sounds like I must make a trip soon down there.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Actually, the river was LOW. The farm pond where I caught the bait was overflowing. The cats were all caught in 12 to 15 feet of water, and it was falling. Water temp was 81 degrees. The worst part of the deal was that blasted aquatic vegetation. Had to reel 'em up about every 20 minutes to remove a fist size wad of the stuff off the weight. I threw it in a five gallon bucket so it would not get in my other lines. By nights end, the five gallon bucket was FULL! Yeah, come on down, we'll go! We'll go downstream below Pamplico, where the big 'uns lurk! :) BTW: Welcome to the BOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are you in SC?
    BB in SC

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Forgot to add. Four hits, four fish. Power Pro + Gamakatsu + Abu Garcia = success!
    Bill in SC

5. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just moved to Ladson in Dec from NC. How far is the river from Moncks Corner? I read all of the posts from the Peedee camp out and I was wondering if that was the same section of the river. I would like to get up there and get familar with the river so maybe I can start donating my money to the Peedee tourny:angry: I have only fished the lakes mostly with a couple of trips to the Cooper river.

6. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My choice is Abu garcia + 40lbs Berkly Big Game + Eagle claw circle from wally world + Ugly stick has never let me down. Unless I tied a sloopy knot or a nick in my line . :crazy:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Probably a couple of hours from MC, any way you go. The section I fish is the upper SC section. Our club is based out of Pamplico, much closer to the coast. We'd love to have you join us in the club, or in our tourneys! (or both)
    BB

8. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Do yall run year round Tournys? The section I had my eyes on is above I95 I heard there is limited acess and not heavily fished.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think our tourneys are year around. I assure you, the Berkeley Big Game line WON'T cut it in the heavy cover we fish. I used the Berkely line for years and lost a HEAP of fish. Then, James turned me on to Power Pro, and I have never looked back. never will either! :smile2:
    Bill in SC

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hear ya Bill congrats on another succesful trip.

11. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    congrats Bill, it sounds like we're gonna have to fish pretty hard in the next tourney to keep up with you!!!

12. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Oh I believe you I read all the posts about the lines breaking and alot of stucture. I am always loaded to adapt to most situations. But normally I have to be hard headed and use least amount # line for the challenge. I have rods for running the boat into a log jam and fishing vertical into heavy cover to monster out big Flatheads back in NC rivers but I know all rivers and lakes are different so I would like to experance the Big Peedee. I have heard all about it for Many of years but have never fished it.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <congrats Bill, it sounds like we're gonna have to fish pretty hard in the next tourney to keep up with you!!!>

Stealing a slogan from the PBR Bull riders last weekend in Mexico:

"We're in it to win it." :wink:

Bill in SC

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I have rods for running the boat into a log jam and fishing vertical into heavy cover to monster out big Flatheads>

That's the way I USED to do it too. Now, even with the 100# Power Pro braid, I rarely fish vertical anymore. Just too risky to work them out of the snags, and I have been disappointed more often than not. Plus, I see James catching SO MANY throwing way behind the boat! :wink: I learn QUICKLY! :smile2:
    BB in SC

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We have torneys on a every other month basis not including december and january because of the holidays. We would love to hav you come fish with us. Were most of tourneys are is only about 1.5 hours from MC. That stretch of the river that you mentioned is probablly the most heavily fished especially with limb lines and trot lines. Let me know if you are interested and we will take you out on the river and show you around.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Let me know if you are interested and we will take you out on the river and show you around.>

Indeed!

BB in SC

17. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the offer when things on my end straighten out a little I will definatly give yall a shout and head that way. Right now my wifes mom is real sick and i have been in and out of Chapel Hill Hospital so I can not make plans yet. Are all the tournys at one place or at different locations on the Peedeee?

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We have them at 2 differnet locations simply because of river access and the good landings with floating docks. Our next tournament is on Sept 20th and you will be able to trailer to other landings.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just checked the hydrolog chart that has been down a few days. I erred in saying the river was falling, as according to the chart, it was rising. I will say it was low, and very still last night.
    BB in SC

20. countryboy1616

countryboy1616 New Member

State:
    Darlington, S.C.
    Bill I stay in Darlington and would for us to get together and fish that area your in. I usually put in off of 34 but have never really had much luck at all down river. If the water is high enough to get over the rocks I have done a little better up river but not much. James I want to take you up on your offer as well, I have never fished below I-95.

Rohn