Big Pee Dee 7/2 09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Went loafing at the river this afternoon. Basically wanted to see how my skiff ran, as I haven't had it in the water since we redid the lower unit. Well, when I got it above about half throttle, the motor would rev, but the boat wouldn't go fast. I scratched my head and called my brother. Long story short, when I put the prop on, I saw the crown nut that holds the cotter pin. Consequently, I had only tightened it a tad more than hand tight, thinking it was like a wheel bearing nut. When I put the motor under a load, it was spinning on the shaft. There is still about 3/16 of an inch or rubber on the hub, and I think it will be ok, as I have tightened the heck out of it properly now. I didn't get too far away from the landing with the boat acting weird, but still managed a channel and a blue. Bream seemed to be hard to catch today, but there again, I didn't get to my bream or catfishin' holes. I will return in the morning shortly after daylight and fish until about noon. Then rush home and get ready to go to lake Wylie to fish with Holmes and Big Bird tomorrow night. Will report back in a day or two. BTW: I talked to James today, and he said they had caught 27 pound flattie and some more fish. They were still fishing, so they might have some more. I think the bite is about ready to turn back on, though the water was at 85 degrees. The river is still mighty low, so the fish are concentrated is certain areas. All day today, big and little fish were rolling all around me, and I saw several cats as they rolled. I'm sure they were feeding on something on top of the water. I am anxious to try some cat rigs with bait suspended with huge corks. I truly think you can catch a pile of fish, fishing towards the surface. That will be my next week's plan.

Bill in SC

2. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Bill corks work well, just like jugging !! If you hit it at the right time i think you will like it !

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, Ronnie. I figure to keep some in the boat, and whenever I see them feeding on top, rig up a few. I also have a few eddys I want to fish at night with corks. I KNOW this strategy is bound to work, on occasions. I think if I would of had a top water plug today, I could have caught one.

BB in SC

4. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Black lights work well for cork fishing at night!!

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I guess when I do it at night, I will use a glow stick in the noodle cork I use. I need to rig up my blue LED strip in my skiff for night fishin' also.

BB

6. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    I use smaller corks big for a corks but smaller than noodle corks, but i don't use live bait only small cut bait for blues.I always use small cut bait on my jugs and had big fish's! So i rig my corks the same way, but i mostly use bigger baits bottom fishing, so if blue fishing try one rig small bait!

7. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I like party balloons. They are cheap, I can adjust the size, and I can slide a glowstick in them. I rig them with a slip bobber string, bead under that and a snap swivel where the bobber would normally go. Then I tie the balloon on the snap swivel. Works just like a jug, and you can float a hand sized bait at what ever depth you want with 4 ounces of weight without a problem.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    With the river that low and the temps up, any chance they were up on top because of low oxygen?