Big Pee Dee 7 10 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Finally got a day to get back on the river, or, I should say night. We had a late start due to welding more gussets in my metal enclosure framework. I, Chris and my grandson Justin put in a Blues and went downstream to my usual fishin' grounds. The river is WAY low, which made navigation tricky. I like to go downstream because it is rare to see anyone downriver when it is that low. Caught bream pretty good, and right after dark, we started fishin' our way back up river. After a couple of previous bad outings, the bite seems to be picking back up. We ended up with six fish, one blue and five flatties. The flatties were all beat up, I guess coming off the spawn. We got bites at EVERY drop. We fished drop offs into the deep holes all night. A deep hole when the river is this low averages 14 to 16 feet, though I did get a couple of 18 to 20 feet readings in a couple of places. Lately when I fish, I just basically put the boat on fish, and blow up my air mattress and lie back watching the fun while others pull 'em in. My 10 year old grandson tickled us last night. Every time his eyes would get heavy and he would ease back towards the air mattress, Chris and I would say, "Go ahead and get a nap and rest, Justin. Chris will reel in ALL the rods that slam down." He'd pop back up like one of those plastic blowup figures with the sand in the bottom that you knock over and they stand right back up, and resume his position watchin' the rods. :smile2: He actually stayed awake ALL night, and pulled in a couple of nice ones. He crashed hard after daylight this morning though, as we continued to fish into the morning :wink: Overall, we had a great time. I thank the Lord for another safe trip without tearing anything up. We only had one sequence of nutrolls. The first drop right after setting eight rods in the water, the anchor broke loose and hung and tangled up several lines. Got that worked out, and the SAME thing happened time we got the rods reset! :eek:oooh: Water temp was 81 degrees, and we used about 11 gallons of fuel. Here are a few pics.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Couple more pics. Chris let me reel in a nine pound flattie this morning. BTW: Our biggest fish was a 17 pound flattie Chris caught. The blue was 13 1/2 pounds.

Attached Files:

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice fish! Wow Justin looks to have grown a bunch from the last pics I seen of him.
    Man it's good to see flatties coming off spawn finally, I ain't fished much since I left your house mr Bill... tell everybody drpepper said "hey" will ya please?

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Glad to see you are having some luck with the cats. Thanks for sharing the story and pics. Andrew

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Glad to see ya turn your luck around Bill,those are some nice ones.Thanks for the report and pics.:big_smile:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yessir, Bill, he's gained about 15 pounds since you saw him. He's still light enough to walk the kinks out of my back though! :wink: Don't feel bad, I haven't fished nearly as much as I would like to either! BTW: Tell your dad I have been thinkin' about him. Hope he is doing well too.

BB

7. Shockwav

Shockwav New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Glad to see you had a good trip! We caught some small channels last night at Lake Paul Wallace all about 2 or 3Lbs. I'v been selling alot of bait to people going to the river tonight!:big_smile:

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Bill, Nice fish there brother. Reps for such an awesome report:wink:

9. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    hey bill nice cats there congrads

10. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Nice gussets you put on the holiday inn blunt.
    It looks like chris has got his "spidey sense" dialed back in. I tried it last night but didnt work for me for the big one.
    The BPD likes steady water levels-it is good that the bite is back on.

11. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    nice fish, and always good to see the kiddos having a blast!! congrats