Big Pee Dee 5 6 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, May 6, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Left Blue's early. Fish were biting good. Caught a 10 pound blue. Then a gar started pulling our rods down and tangling our lines. Moved from there to my next spot and got my best fight of the year. Thought sure I had eclipsed my PB for this year. Had a savage take down. Started reeling in and I had some kinda fight going. Finally got the fish near the boat and it ran under the motor as i could not turn it. It finally lassoed itself in another line and the fight was over. Turned out to be a 17.5 pound blue. Apparently the hook came loose from it's mouth and hung itself right under the dorsal fin. Folks, they fight a heap better hooked like this rather than in the lip! :) Moved from there and found fish again. Had an absolute monster break my 50# monofilament leader. It broke right above my snell tied hook. I don't know if the leader had a bad place in it from dragging snags up. Anyhow, never saw it. About then they quit biting. We still fished more and managed a channel and two flatheads, all under 5#. BTW, the 17.5 I caught had a fresh lamprey bite on it. Many of you know what these are, but for the folks who don't, a lamprey is an eel like jawless fish that has many circular rows of teeth. They are parasitic and sometimes attach to various fishes. They are often confused with eels, and some call them lamp eels. A photo of the bite is enclosed. Also is an attached pic of peglegreb's trophy! :)
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bill - I had problems a couple of years back with snells breaking just aboe the knot. After messing with it a bit, I figured out that there was a kind of sharp spot at the end of the hook wire where it's bent arount to form the hook eye. When I snelled the hooks the line would pass through the eye and run up against that little sharp spot. I lost a couple of good fish at the boat, because when they would tug on a short line like that, the leader would pop. Just something to look at...

BTW - The lampreys come into the rivers on the American shad as they run up in the spring.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I can see what you mean about the sharp edge. My pardner peglegreb had the line go between the gap on a hook last week. he reeled in a perfect knot with NO hook! :) Different knot and hook than I was using, but I can see where there is a problem area at the gap where the hook loops around and touches the hook again. How did you correct the problem? I really like the snell knot, and my Gamakatsu hooks, but I don't want this to happen again. That's exactly where this rig broke.
    Bill in SC