big pee dee 5/1/09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by SWAMPRAT, May 2, 2009.

1. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i took one of my buddys fishing that has never caught a cat on a rod n reel, only set hooks. we put in at dunhams bluff at about 10 'oclock friday morning and fished down river for about 2 hrs., we weren't catching anything or having any bites and the only fish we found on the depth finder were small ones anyways, so we were going to fish upriver, we went to pull the anchor up and the anchor line broke, so no more anchor he rest of the day. we rode up river almost to allisons landing and started fishing again, we ended up about a mile or so above 378 bridge when we stopped fishing. we finished the day out with 8 fish, the most that has been caught off of my boat, the smallest was about 2 lbs and i caught one that weighed 10lbs and a 15lber i wish everybody could have had that kind of day at the tourney last saturday. i think i got him hooked on rod n reel fishin now.:cool2:

Attached Files:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nice mess of flatheads. What was the bait choice? Thanks.

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    He could be hooked on a lot of worst things :smile2:

4. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i should have posted all of this in the original but here it goes..... the bait of choice was bream heads we caught one on a bigggg goldfish (10lber) had crawfish but no luck on them and a couple of bites on live bream but no takers water temps were around 72-73 degrees and all fish were caught in 8-10 ft of water, no more no less go figure. i guess that is what the like so i aint arguing. im starting to pay more attention to these kinds of things. a couple of years back we just went fishing, found a spot that looked good to us but probably not the fish. and since the night i went fishing with rivercatsc and finally learned to read the depth finder we have started catching alot more fish. i just have to adjust the transducer im getting only partial arches, so we have been using the "fish id". BTW it sucks, its kinda funny how i can get full "fish" to show up but only a piece of an arch:angry: but i guess it works cuz we caught 8 fish yesterday which was a "record" for my boat, we usually just catch three or four. we just have to get to the landing at a tourney with the kind of catches we have pleasure fishing:eek:oooh::cool2:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    VERY good report, Brian! Looks like another fine group headed to Lake Crisco!

Bill in SC

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Most of the time when you get partial arches, it is caused because the transducer is not parralel with the water's surface. Boats take different attitudes when idling and using the sonar, but the transducer needs to be level at the speed you mostly use for searching. :big_smile:

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great Job Brian. Yall have those flatheads down pat. I hope to get to the river 1 evening this week but it will most likely be next week. :angry: