Big Pee Dee 4 28 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Set out from Society Hill about 8 am. Rainy and rough, my favorite conditions to fish in. Went downstream to the island which is about halfway to Blue's. Started fishin' back up towards SH. Bite was slow. Current was tough as it was rising fast. Peglegreb hung a nice 'un that got in some snags and he lost him. I caught a channel about three pounds. I lost two rigs that were snagged up. Swift current hinders our jigging technique. Pegleg lost a couple of rigs too. Didn't mark many fish today on the sonar, but where ever we found them, we got bites. Got back to the landing and decided to go upstream a ways since we had not done much good otherwise. I found a pair lying on the bottom and I put the bait right in one of em's mouth. Hooked up fine. Lasted about 2 seconds and my line snapped. I'm assuming there was a mighty weak place in my line from stretching it breaking off snagged lines. It is terribly disappointing to lose a NICE fish due to line failure. We decided to call it a day, even though we still had plenty of bait and it was only 2 pm. Dewayne (pacman) and I are putting in at Blue's at daybreak in the morning, and we should have a better trip to write about tomorrow. Otherwise, we had a great and enjoyable day. I did get a 15 inch tire on a rim out of the river that was floating down.
    Bill in SC

2. peglegreb

peglegreb New Member

State:
    s.c.
    hay dont forget we are going tomrow nigth

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good luck fellows. 1 week and counting and we are all going to tackle the river down this way and I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Me neither too, James!! :)
    BB in SC

5. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what kind of rod do you recomend using on pee dee????

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use 6' 6" medium heavy Berkley Big Game rods from Wal-Mart. $20 and change. They are stiff enough to not waver in the current, and also stiff enough to pull the nice cats in easily. I have a pair of Abu Garcia 6000s mounted on two of them, and the other two have a brand new pair of Abu Garcia 'Blue Cat' reels, which are basically 6500s.
    BB in SC