Big Pee Dee 4 26 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Left Blue's landing about 10:30 this morning. Peglegreb lost about four or five fish in my honey hole. He had a couple of lines broken or fish got wrapped up in snags, and just lost one or two. I started ragging him about the virtues of the Gamakatsu hookup ratio. His only reply, "Maybe he'll bite again." Right after I got through expounding on my 100% hookup ratio, I lost my first ever hit on the Gamakatsu, but it was my fault. I had freshened up my bait and I left the old bait on, resulting on the hook not being exposed right. Fish came off. On another occasion, another odd thing happened. I had turned my back a minute and all of a sudden I heard my rod go down and line coming off the drag, and I keep my drag TIGHT. I turned to pick the rod up, and whatever had it turned it loose without getting hooked up. David said he thought it might have been a gar he had seen, which would explain it. After all the early misfortune, we finally settled in and I caught four blues and David caught a flattie. Largest of the group might have gone ten or eleven pounds. A note of serous interest. I fished HARD four days this week and only lost ONE hook due to snags using our jigging technique. My luck had been so good all week, I took more chances where I casted today. I hung up at least 40% of the time today, and got them ALL back!! Peglegreb lost but one rig today due to snags. Now, we might lose the next ten we throw in the river, but this technique is unreal. Sometime you may have to jig three or four minutes, and many times you have to navigate the boat in the current with precision to not let it get away from you, but if you are patient, it WILL pull loose. :wink: Another note of serious interest. I kept my throttle speed slightly less than 3/4 wide open today, and saved at LEAST 20% of my normal fuel consumption. Usually takes about 4+ gallons to go where we usually go. Did it on three today. Never cracked the throttle wide open today at all. Wasn't supposed to catch a big 'un today, because I forgot the memory chip for the camera! :) BTW: All fish were caught on blueback herring. They seem to love it!
    Bill in SC

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey thank you for sharing your fishing experience with us today, sorry to hear that you got snagged alot today, but at least you all caught some fish, glad to hear that there biting your way, there starting to bite here to, I believe its going to be a great year for fishing, hopefully the cats will keep biting your way, keep us posted on how you do.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hope you have a good year too, catfisherman_eky3. I never worry about the snags. I'f ya ain't gettin' hung up, you ain't fishing in the right place! :) I EXPECT at least a 50/50 chance of a snag EVERY cast. I "feel" the weight all the way down. If it hits more than one or two times on the way down, I usually try and get it back to locate to a more suitable spot, before the current really gets it messed up and seriously hung.
    BB in SC

4. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what kind of gamakatsu hooks are yall using?? i use the 8/0 circle hooks and if a fish bites it and takes off with it you got him you dont have to guess when to grab the pole and set the hook or start reelin cause its usually bent double and hes already hooked his self

5. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    went fishing friday night and only had 3 bites. had one to hit a live bream so hard he knocked it off the hook, had another one biting, and had one to take it a run with it. i caught that one, it was a 14lb blue. we fished from about 8:30 fri night to about 2:00 sat morn.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like great fishing to me. Some times you have to put the line where you don't want too to get those fish out of cover.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, I use the 8.0 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks. We are headed back out at daylight this morning, and most every day this week. Should have some great stories if all goes well.
    BB

8. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    how do you get to blues landing from society hill????

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Blue's is the next landing BELOW Society Hill.
    BB in SC