Big Pee Dee 4 24 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Set out about 10 this morning from Blue's to check our herring nets. The river rose about 3 feet last night so we had a bountiful catch. In the net there was:
    28 pound blue cat
    20 pound blue cat
    10 pound blue cat
    17 blueback herring
    2 buffalo carp
    3 gizzard shad
    3 roe shad
    3 buck shad
    The guy who had the net knows how I like to release the cats, so he asked me whether we should keep them or not. I told him they were HIS nets and he could do whatever he wanted to do with them. He put them in the cooler, but by the time we had all the other fish in the cooler it was slam full. After we left the nets, we put all three catfish back in the river, and they were all in good shape. Those big cats will really mess up a net! After that we fished with rods and reels for a while. The bite was off, but I managed one 14 pound blue which we released. He had a big cat he couldn't turn on his less than adequate reels. The cat went in to a log jam and he lost him. In three days of hard fishing, I have lost but one hook due to snags. One other note of interest. Since I switched over to the Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks in the 8.0 size, I have had a 100% hookup rate, and not lost a single fish from a hook coming loose from the fish. These hooks are the gospel as far as I am concerned.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thank you for the info sounds like you had your self a good time, and had some fine catches, glad to hear that you done good, keep up the good work and hopefully be many more fish coming your way.

3. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Hey guys I've fished on peedee all my life from florence to brittons Neck on 378 but I've never heard of Blues landing before could you let me know where it is located I would like to fish there some time thanks.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Blue's landing, AKA Hunt's Bluff, is the next landing up river from Hwy 34 landing.
    BB in SC

5. CarolinaRig

CarolinaRig New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Gotta love those Gamakatsu Hooks!!!

6. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    how much time and skill does it take to learn how to net???

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Not overly complicated captmarty. You have to buy a netting permit. It's not too expensive. Then you have to buy your net/nets. Again, not bank breaking. if you want to sell your haul commercially, you have to get a $50 license.
    BB in SC