Big Pee Dee 4 23 08 (yahoo again) :-)

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Went late and got to Blue's at noon. Set the nets hoping for some shad and/or herring. Between noon and five we decided to wet a hook. Used blueback herring today, and the bite was good again today. At my first stop, the "honey hole", I caught an 11 pound flattie. For all the folks that think flatties only like live bait, I caught him on very dead herring. I had just poured some gas in my tank and had gas all over my hands when I baited up. Was worried that the smell might run the fish off. For the folks who think that "smells" on your hands may run fish off, this catch shoots that theory down. Fished back up river and caught a fine 22 pound blue. Checked the nets at 5 oclock and there was nary a fish in it. Decided to wet hooks one more time since we still had half a blueback and didn't want to throw it away. Fished right above a rock bar. Hooks had been in the water less than 2 minutes and a rod slammed down to the tune of a fine 16 pound blue. Yesterday when I caught those big blues, my buddy filleted them. I was deeply saddened seeing those magnificent creatures butchered up, and doubly so as they were full of eggs. I released both these nice blues today, as they were also full of eggs.
    As for "theories", as to why we don't catch fish some days, I'm beginning to change all mine. I was beginning to doubt myself when we started fishing in late winter, and weren't catching many fish. I said to myself, I'm a smoker and maybe the scent was getting on my bait. The river is falling. The moon ain't right, etc etc. Fact of the matter is, when the fish get ready to bite, scented hands, falling rivers, etc etc, won't stop them from biting. Now is the time of the year when they are finally turning on here.
    I have two goals now. I want to get into the 40 pound range and beat my PB blue and I want to learn to catch fish when they ain't bitin' good. That's what separates the fishermen, and THE fishermen. Most anyone can catch them when they are bitin'. Well, one more goal. I want to beat catmaster JM to the SC state flattie record! :) I've fished all my life, but I have never been seriously into catfishing other than occasionally. I have learned so much from the fine folks on this forum that it is unreal. I appreciate everything anyone has shared with me. Days like the last two make it all worthwhile. If the Good Lord lets me live long enough, I'm sure there will be MANY others.
    BB in SC

Attached Files:

2. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Good deal Bill. That is what records are made for to be broken. Hope U make it.
    PEEDEE CAT
    Thanks for letting me share.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    All right Bill you hav pumped up about the river now and I cany wait to get back in it. I have fished the river sinse Jan and that is by far the longest I have ever been. In 2 weeks I will be on long break and me and you will hit the river in search of that 40+lb blue and some monster flatties. I will call you and set a date.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I anxiously await, James!!
    BB in SC

5. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i am new to all these usefull tips that you are giving! i just hope i can have the same skills you have 1 day