Big Pee Dee 4/16/09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I went to the river late, (2:30pm) because I went with mom to the flower show in Florence. My main intention today was to meet new SC BOC member Johnboy, as he drove down from Columbia to fish the Pee Dee. I had told him that the Society Hill landing was his easiest access from Columbia. He and his brother were already fishin' when I got there. I guessed that since he was unfamiliar with the river in the Society Hill area, that they went upstream. I went upstream and set up, figuring they would come by pretty soon. Sure enough, it was only about 30 minutes or so, that they came by and introduced themselves. Super nice people, and I look forward to more days on the water with them. Unfortunately, the river was dropping, and the bite was slow to nil. I finally found three nice fish on structure and commenced to try them. From that spot, I had a flattie steal my bait. I'm sure it was a flattie by the way it bit. It was a tap, tap, and the ever so slow, but steady takedown. I had my feet propped up, and as soon as they hit the floor of the boat, the rod came back up. After reeling it in a while later, the bait was gone. :sad2: I only stayed on the water for 5 hours total, and am convinced that if I had had more time, I would have caught a few. Chris is off tomorrow, so we will put in at Blue's early, and spend the day (or two) on the river. I GUARANTEE some fish pics when we get back!! I have a big buffalo carp that we are gonna cut up for bait tomorrow. Though the river is still plenty full of water, it was beautiful today, and should get better in the next day or two.

Bill in SC

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, I just missed you, I bet. I left that landing about 2:00 to head back home. It was a lot cleaner than a couple of days ago, as far as debris in the water. I bet you were hunting that flathead that broke my rod a few days back....

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Tommy, were you in a DNR truck? John said he saw a DNR truck, and someone in a very small boat. Was that you?

BB

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yep, that would have been me. I was undercover, I thought.. :wink:

5. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    Bill thanks for showing us around your home turf, sure was great to meet you....wish we would have had a better day, but still cant wait to get back down there, and we will be catching em soon enough...Tommy, I wish I knew that was you in the DNR boat, we did throw our hands up at ya when you passed us, but I ususally dont flag down the man, so.....

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm sorry I missed meeting you, Johnboy. I was running a little late that day, and trying to finish up and head downriver. I do often stop and chat with the fishermen on the water if I have a little time to spare, and can do it without messing up their fishing. Maybe next time. :smile2:
    There is a tournament going on at Society Hill Saturday & Sunday. It'll be a packed parking lot when I get up there in the morning, I bet. Water's dropping hard today, so it will likely be tough fishing there tomorrow.

7. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Tommy do you work at the DNR, i would like to know:smile2::cool2: