Big Pee Dee 12 20 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Got to Blue's before daylight. Chris was up from his tent, with breakfast cooked. NO fog today that had been blanketing us for the last several days. Got on the river at daybreak, and headed downstream below Three Creeks where I wanted to investigate. Found a feeder creek down there and caught some fresh bream. Chris hung a mud fish on his light bait catchin' tackle. He got him near the boat and he looked to be 5 or 6 pounds. Then he straightened his hook out! :big_smile: We then proceeded downstream to the bends on the map I posted a while back. The weather was gorgeous, and we were soon shirtless, basking in the sun. Found a few fish here and there, but as usual this time of year, couldn't coax them to bite. We did have one major takedown with a monster fish! Had to have been a huge blue. My grandson couldn't get the rod out of the rod holder, so I ran to the back of the boat to do the honors. I had him coming good, and then he hit some snags. He broke loose from the snags and was coming again, and hit some more snags. He broke loose a final time and I thought we had him. He then hit some more snags and the 50# leader snapped. It was surely an adrenalin rush, and I sure wish we could have at least seen him. Anyhow, we continued to fish. Found some REAL nice holes, and kept finding fish, but couldn't get them to bite. Around 2 o:clock, the skies started blackening, and it was soon pouring rain. I would have continued fishin' but Chris had camped out and was ready to go. The river was fairly stable, and water temp was 55/56 degrees all day. The big Merc 200 only used 9 gallons of fuel, and we covered a LOT of ground. 2800 rpms seems to be the most fuel efficient speed for the engine. I've decided to definitely keep the engine. Just have to be extra careful to NOT hit anything since it won't kick up on impact. IF we ever get the late fall/winter fishin' figured out, I will be a happy camper! :wink: There's got to be another angle we haven't utilized, whether it be bait selection, or the way we present it. It's an enigma to find fish and not catch them. I guess we are going to have to call in Catmaster James to come up and give us an education on technique! :big_smile:
    (Whenever you get time, James...) BTW: I am hearing of a LOT of folks catchin' fish on the Lakes, but I assure you, Lake fishin' AIN'T river fishin'!! ;-)
    Bill in SC

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, that's a super report, my friend. I almost feel like I was there with you guys. Glad to know the motor is working out ok for you, too. I know mine is much more fuel efficient around 3600 rpm. There is a sweet spot there that works.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! Thanks for the kind words, Tommy! I love to write. Now, if we could just catch some fish, I'd actually have something worthwhile to write about! :wink:

Bill in SC

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I will let you know when I can get up there but I dont know how much help I can be. I would love to get up there to fish with ya.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    10/4, James! just let me know when you have an available day, and I will make arrangements to work with your schedule!
    BB

6. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great info Bill. If you keep up with all that info surely with a little process of elimination, you will get it figured out. Just curious, does the tide play a role that far up river?

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <does the tide play a role that far up river?>

No sir, Jason. NO effect whatsoever.

BB in SC