Big Pee Dee 1 17 09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Called BAREFOOTFISHN this morning just to chat basically. I asked Chris what he was doing and he said, "wishin' we were fishin'". We hadn't planned to go today, but decided on a whim to hit the Big Pee Dee. Put in at Blues and went downstream below Three Creeks. Got the lines in the water by 1 pm. Wasn't expecting to catch anything. We were almost ready to move for the third time, and I said lets stay a few more minutes there. About that time a rod slammed down, and Chris landed a 19 pound ten ounce blue. That's about all that happened, but that made the trip worth it. Water temp was 42 degrees. It was an absolutely beautiful day. We kept seeing a blue looking fish, I assume a blue cat, rolling or feeding on the top of the water. Kinda surprised me with the water temp being so cool. We were fishin' with frozen mullet.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Bill, you're a braver man than me! Lately, I haven't felt like messing with the cold, so I've been staying inside where it's 70-degrees playing X-Box! :smile2::eek:oooh::wink:

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    A 19# is a nice fish,,better than what I'm catching off my couch . I've been putting off fishing also. Its gonna be a cold week I see but I'm already pacing the house.... might have to load up the big logs tonight ; )

Nice job Bill
    -Jim-

4. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Thats a good fish any day but especially today. You guys are a lot tougher than me:wink:. I spent the day catchin up on hunny do's and "quality time". Maybe that will earn me a couple more long weekends on the cat water when the weather is a little better:smile2:

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    you musta drove everybody at the house crazy by lunch and decided to go fishin.
    I thought all the blues had done checked out and headed south.
    Good catch guys.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I thought all the blues had done checked out and headed south..

ALL of them don't migrate down, Lindsay. MANY of them do though. I forgot to say, that ol' fool dog of mine jumped off the boat today, into the river. We were tied up in an eddy, and she thought she could walk on the structure, and on off to the bank. She found out differently. I saw here preparing to dive off, but I let her go. :smile2: Figured it best for her to learn in an eddy, than swift current.

Bill in SC

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill when I see catson the surface like that I will move to shallower water an usually catch more fish. Im not sure why but it does seem to work. Glad yall got 1 in the boat. I meant to tell you yall need to hit up lake Paul Wallace this time of year. I bet it is full of gizzard shad or threadfin shad. :wink:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    James, to my knowledge, there are NO gizzard or threadfin shad in Lake Wallace.
    Bill in SC

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats, sounds like some real good fishing! Thanks for sharing with us. Some of the best trips are the unplanned ones, they are typically stressfree

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I bet it is full of gizzards. If it isnt it will be the first lake I have ever seen around here that isnt.

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Way to go Hardcore, nice pics!:wink:

12. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Thank's for the pics and the story sound's like everyone had fun including the dog.:smile2:

13. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Bill you are the luckesty man that can fish in zero weather.:cool2::cool2: