Big or small caliber?

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by TX Catman, Feb 20, 2007.

1. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hogs guns are a mystery, should I use the smaller .223 or the bigger 30-06. If i use the .223 there's not much of a kick and it can hold more bullets but has to hit the hog 2+ times unless you hit it in the head, or should I use the bigger 30-06 with more of a kick, and less bullets but you could take it down with 2 or less shots if you hit it and one if you hit it in the head. Waht do u think?

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Personally I would go for the 3006. A 223 would do the job but you need to be able to pick your shots closely. 3006 would be alot more forgiving?

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've got a good friend that goes to the Wagonner ranch in Texas and murders pigs. This guys owns a gun shop and can literally shoot anything that he wants, and he hunts pigs with a .223 After years of shooting them with the bigger guns, he now just shoots the .223 and takes head shots. He said the head/neck shot will anchor a pig faster than the bigger calibers through the boiler room, plus he says it makes it more fun. Shells are considerably cheaper and there's much less abuse on his shoulder when he gets into several groups of hogs per day. Just a thought.

4. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE BUT I HAVE HEARD OF GUYS SHOOTING THEM IN THE HEAD WITH A .22 IN THE HEAD AND DROPPING THEM. I THINK I MIGHT HAVE HAD MY LEG PULLED.
    JERROD IS THIS ALL THAT YOU DO?

5. HEAVYSETDOOBER

HEAVYSETDOOBER New Member

State:
    Mayfield,Kentucky
    Oh yea, a 22 will drop 'em if you hit 'em right. If your going for a head shot You more or less gotta draw an imaginary line from the left ear to the right eye then from the right ear to left eye then shoot for where the "X" crosses and they'll drop in there tracks . I've killed more hogs with a 22 than you could ever imagine. When I was little we killed our hogs on the farm and processed them in the back yard. Kinda sounds a little redneckish but hey what can I say.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Yep, I shoot 'em from a stand, over bait, with little 60 grain sub-sonics. Right in the ear, and down they go.

Conversely, I shot one in the engine room with a .30-06 during deer season, and the sucker ran off.

Go figure.