Big Old Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by canepole, Aug 21, 2005.

1. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I have been thinking about making up some Dough balls and doing some carp fishing its been many years since I fished strickly for carps and talking about a fight a big old carp can give you a good whooping.
    I remember My Father taking me carp fishing and he hooked into a hog, he fought that joker for about thirty minutes then he finaly landed it, he took the hook out and held it up and looked over at me and smiled and then turned around and released him.The smile on the old mans face said it all,

2. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i hooked a big one once using a hotdog off a dock while blue gill fishing and i hooked it and it took off. i saw a flash of its side and it was huge so at that point i was getting excited and just after i saw him, he ran under the dock and broke the line. it was fun though on an ultralight.

3. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Those carp sure are fighters. I always keep an extra line out for em. The biggest we have caught, my son gets to claim. Took him 15 minutes to land on 8 pound test and a zebco spinning reel and its about as big as he is lol. He caught it on some doughbait we cook up especially for carp. Its actually a grass carp, not a common carp and they get a lot bigger than this one. Here in Phoenix they stock these in the urban lakes to keep the lakes clean but we are allowed to keep one a day if its over 30" . Anyway, we don't usually keep em but he worked so hard for this one, we "had" to take it home, lol. Kept me in cut bait forever and we ate a little of it too. Fried up good and tasted fine, but talk about the bones. Had to resharpen my fillet knife once before I got through,lol.

Attached Files:

4. willisjj

willisjj Guest

We used to fish for em quite a bit in a creek that ran close to the house when we were kids. Back then we used bread soaked in Big Red and mushed into a doughball and they sure used to hit that pretty well. It was a lot of fun, especially on those little cheap rod and reels we had back then and that muddy water that you couldn't see down into. It was a 99.9% chance it was a carp, but then you just never really knew until it broke the surface and being young kids our imaginations were always running wild. Happy days then..............

5. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

CANE POLE
    many years ago we were going to take a fly in trip to canada,to do some
    northern pike fishing,my wife did not have a lot of experience handling big
    fish.well i knew of a place that held some pretty big CARP.it in a small river
    that went over a dam,we could stand in the river up to our waist and cast
    back in under the dam useing wheaty dough balls.after a few trips she got
    the hang of it and has been an excellent fishing partner ever since.thru the
    years she has learned a lot about all kinds of fishing.thanks to the carp
    i have the best fishing partner that anyone could ask for.as an added bonus
    she is a great cook.CARP FISHING is a great way to getting some one
    introduced to fishing. :D

6. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    You are a lucky one capt kirk, My wife only fishes when the weather is perfect, it can't be to hot and it can't be to cold, and most of the time she does't feel like going hahahahaa,

7. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    carpin has always been a lot of fun for myself and my son.Now my grand son is having fun . here on the upper chesapeake we fish the flats is a 14 foot boat we put the end of the ankor line on a flot and when we get a gooden we toss the flot and let him pull us around a little then baing him in take a picturre then release him like we do every fish.carpin is great for everybody from 65+to 9.
    dam skippy its fishing time :cool:

8. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I agree with ya omots. My son like fishing, but wasn't "dedicated" to it until he hooked into that 25 pounder and man, after that you couldn't stop him for anything, lol. I guess thats enough to get any 8 year old boy riled up though, lol. Maybe soon we can get him hooked into a flathead that size or bigger.

9. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    we've got what is possibly the best carp hole in the world over in section of ohio. we'd normally catch at least 6 in a span of 4 hours no matter what condition the river was in, and the smallest i ever dragged out was 12 pounds. of course i've only heard of a few people actually eating them, but they are definitely fun to fight. that little hole i'm talking about only works on a certain kind of doughball. i've fished right next to people yanking 'em out of the dam left and right in the 12-30lb range while they can't catch so much as a cold because those carp only want that one kind of doughball. it's kind of funny though because i haven't had much luck anywhere else with that doughball recipe.

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Every year during Lent the local American Legion has fish fries every Fri. night. You can see people lined out the door waiting to eat that carp! After I tried theirs, I realized that in the past, I hadn't known what I was doing! Fried some up for supper tonight after I came back from running my lines. Now that I know how to do it right, it tastes a whole lot better. :D

11. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I used to go carpin a lot,but now I spend most of my time fishin cats. I still go every once in a while to catch a few for smoking.