Big O - 08/30/2009

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by JBrooks, Aug 31, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Me and my buddy Steve (Steve7, now a new member!) decided to head over to his property on the Ohio River and do some bank fishing. The dock was in so we decided to fish from there. The first few hours we were getting hits, but no loads. After we changed location and tactics, things quickly changed causing us to have 5 fish in an hour, landing 4, one lost due to a failed knot. Absolutely gorgeous day in my opinion, got to see water patrol opening up their boat - I want one. I was also very suprised to see how well this location held good shad, had no problem getting bait.

Towards the end of the night we managed to rig a setup for my bank rod holders to stay stout inside the dock's wood so we can cast in a different location. One of my poles goes off, and the fish decided to cross lines. The setup that got crossed fell into the water (which is 20 ft deep right off the dock) and went right under. Upon landing the fish, I was soooooo lucky the fish decided to bring the crossed line up with him and Steve managed to grab the rod out of the water. :smile2::smile2:

Would have stayed but there's work early next morning, the activity didn't stop. Not bad for being restricted to the bank on this river!

This is his first flathead too, thought it was a turtle at first until the guy started digging! :tounge_out:

Here's some pictures, the 4th fish was a channel, real long, but suprised to see him stuff an 8/0 Gama and a big chunk bait into his mouth.

/ James

Attached Files:

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Good fish guys, glad ya caught some. Its a lot better than sitting here at school like i am :smile2:. Glad you got your rig back too james, that would have been a bummer for sure. :crazy:

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Atleast you guys got a couple it can be tuff from the banks of the ohio sometimes

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yup. It was a hit or miss on this spot the past two years, but then again we only knew about chicken livers at the time. :smile2:

Trying it again tonight, with bigger bait too.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    James you guys caught some that's better then the skunkings I've been taking last three weeks. Congrats on a good night out an thank you for this post.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    looks like you guys have been catching some fish

7. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thats cause they use them circles matt :wink::smile2:

8. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hey James, do you normally dress that nice to go catfishing? Lol, I look like trash compared to you. Sounds like a great nice of fishing. Thanks for the post and thank God you got that rod back.

9. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Nope, came straight from work. :smile2:
    Wearing that shirt again today, fresh out of the dryer of course! :wink::smile2:
    And thanks, and yeah I'm glad I got the rod back too, haha.