Big numbers on Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, May 12, 2008.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Fished Monty Saturday from 6:30am to 2:00pm. I couldn't find a cat over 10 pounds, but Lord did I find the numbers. 47 cat fish in the boat! All were caught on herring and cut shad. My son opted out for the day. He picked a bad day to stay home. I fished till my shoulders were sore. Kept a few for a couple of folks in the church and threw the rest back.

I don't know how the tournament went, but they should have loaded the boat. The funny thing is, I caught fish from 8 feet deep to 60 feet deep. I drifted several areas and caught fish everywhere I fished. They started hitting 5 minutes after I started and were still hitting when I left.

I had 2 changes this trip. I went to different circle hook with a wider gap on some of rods and left my 6\0 Mustad Demon's on the rest. The new hook has a wider gap. I seem to have had a slightly higher hook up ratio with the wider gap. I do not know the name brand of the new hooks, Scott (SC BACKWOODS) had repackaged them at 10 for $2.00 and did not print the name on the packs.

The other change was trying Power Pro braid on 1 of my reels. Man, talk about violent strikes and hook-ups! When they say no stretch they mean it. I am going to a longer leader for a shock absorber, maybe changing from the present 2 feet to 6 feet or so.

I don't know if he still has any, but SC backwoods in Union had some huge gizzard shad Saturday. Some of them must have been a foot long. I caught several cats off of 1 shad (cut bait)

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Sounds like a real fun day, Steve - congratulations. Bet that your son was sorry he didn't tag along :eek:oooh:

3. Zellcat1

Zellcat1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on a great day of fishing!

4. smokkin99

smokkin99 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    sounds like a great day on the water. not too many days will be like that. thanks for the info!!!

5. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you have many more days just like it!

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Wow, what a day that was Steve.
    I bet the next time you schedule a trip your Son will be wating in the truck.

Thanks for the great story Steve..

7. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I am thinking about trying a night trip to Monty in the near future. I have never been on Monty at night, but expect the fishing to be great. In the past, I have always anchored at night, but now I am confident enough with drifting that I probably will try to do so at night. What do ya'll think, shoot for a full moon or a dark night? I am (like most of us) still learning this game.

I will be on a retreat with the men from church next week. I go this week every year and use my free time trout fishing. I got out my fly rod and ultra lights last night and they seem like toys now, after using big cat outfits for so long. Last year I got my PB (east of the Mississippi) a 20.5" rainbow. I have caught larger cut throats in Montanna and Wyoming.

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I love flyfishing, Steve - used to do it a lot while living in Colorado. Flyfished in Montana too - there's so many beautiful, big rivers to fish there. It's like flyfishing paradise. Good luck and have fun.

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you had your self a fun time and congrats on your catches glad to hear that you had some luck and they was biting good luck to you from here on out on the rest of your fishing trips.

10. Tightline101

Tightline101 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Lake Monticello is a great lake for just about any thing. You know you had a fun day when your shoulder hurts , The lower lake has a lot of fish in it also but its only trolling motors, I put a couple of extra batteries in the boat so that I can get far back in there. By the way you said that you used some kinda braid what kind and lb. did you use was it real good of just so-so and my knots seem come undone when I use braid

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on all those cats. I bet your son wish he had of went.