Big New River Smallmouths

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by The Penn Slammer, Oct 28, 2008.

1. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    I have found the big smallmouths and several musky since the water temperature has dropped to around 60 degrees. I have caught 16 fish over 5 pounds the past two weeks with the largest being 6lb15oz on Oct 18th. I am trying to post the pics now. All fish were released alive accept for the 6-15 and a 5-12.

Attached Files:

2. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    Those are some a couple of awesome catchs. Thanks for the pics.:wink:

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats some nice Smallmouths.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Now ya talkin:wink: We got some decent brown bass here, but fish that that are few and far between. Congrats and keep takin pics.

5. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What part of New River ? I've been catching a lot of small mouth between the Gorge Bridge and Hawksnest Dam, but less than half that size. Nice fishies there alright.

6. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    I am fishing in Virginia near Radford.

7. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    I hope everyone enjoys these. These were caught in the New River also and released except for the one on the wall.

Attached Files:

8. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    I am still catching a lot of nice bass on the New River as recently as Nov. 12th me and my partner caught 16 with 7 fish around 4 pounds.We also caught two small musky also.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Never caught more than 3lb more less 15 over 5lbs.

Very impressive!

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    ritchie, that's awesome! i've been hunting alot and haven't been on the river since late oct. then i put my johnboat in at rt 114 bridge and just fished around there, caught several 2-3# and a 5.8#. i think i'm going to try to get to smith mtn later this week and try to get on some stripers
    chip

11. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Great catch. I've caught some nice smallmouths at Sandstone Falls near Hinton, WV.:big_smile:

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    NEVER FISHED THE NEW GREW UP IN CLARKSBURG GOT TO FISH OVER AROUND MOREFIELD SOME AS A TEEN . GREAT PICS !

13. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    my dad caught a 8 1/2 lb. smallmouth a while back, in a mountain lake in north carolina, i will post a few pics of it, it is hanging in my grandparents house, gonna get 'em to email me a few pics, the bass is still the county record since way back when

14. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    here they are!, hope they show up!

Attached Files:

15. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    I am still catching nice bass with the most recent 4 1/2 lb on December 14.

16. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    thanks for the report penn! i am hoping to have a chance to fly fish the new river the spring and summer to come! thanks for the great pics and keep them coming!

17. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    thats a really nice bass, but it's a largemouth. smallmouth bass tend to be more brown and there jaw bone is shorter.
    chip

18. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    that is for sure a smallmouth bass, it was registered in haywood county, north carolina, near waynesville, a north carolina fish and game officer checked it in, it was caught by my dad, pat barnes, when he was 10 years old, taxidermy has come a long way, the taxidermist that he took it to was in georgia, where his grandfather lived, if it wasnt for his grandfather he wouldn't have caught it, go look at the world record picture on the internet, the jaw structure was the same, the state record had already been caught one year before this catch, about 50 miles away in hawassi res.:cool2:

19. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    The water temperature is rising and the smallmouth have been biting black tube jigs awful well. Caught one last sunday around 5lb and all total we caught 18 and 1 redeye.

20. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    where you in mcoy/parrott arae?
    chip