Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Big Muddy

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Slick Skin 
#1 ·
hey yall, i currently reside in nashville TN but am an Illinois native. Grew up in Mattoon fishin the kaskaskia then went to school in charleston and got used to the embarrass. well i am moving home...sorta. i am going back to school in carbondale and wanted to know if anyone knew about the Big Muddy River. the only things i know about it are that its the biggest in the area(i think) besides the mississippi and that it flows directly into the mississippi down the way. does it have any nice flattys? are there any boat ramps? does it get fished pretty hard? how deep is it? is there a motor size limit(i have a 9.9 mariner so i doubt it will be a problem)? dont worry either guys, i am catch and release only(except for the ohio and mississippi where i am selective in my keepers) and i only go by the book. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

#3 ·
Yes there are some nice flats and blues in the Big Muddy, there is a ramp at Murphysboro park - one at rattlesnake ferry - one at turkey bayou - and one in Union co. west of route 3. All are public ramps - depending upon water level which is the better. Right now all are good except for the ramp west of route 3. I checked it last night, it is under water and the river is rising. Send me a PM ( a 9.9 will be fine unless the river is raging) PS that is the Big Muddy in the background

#9 ·
well, i guess i kinda used "blue gill" in a loose term. i agree with the green sunfish. my all time favorite "blue gill" would be a war-mouth(rock-bass, goggle-eye, etc). them dudes have one helluva drive to stay alive and never have hook trauma.

#10 ·
I like goldie's the best ..I'v had them live after they have been hooked and taken off and put back in my live tank's [I have 2 ...500 gallon airrated tank's]...and still live a month ..them flathead's can't pass them up...going to the kaskaskia this weekend at Allenville if thing's work out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.