Big muddy river

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by TONTO, Jan 9, 2008.

1. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Hey as most of you know my new home has the big muddy river in the backyard. It came up from the rain a couple of days ago. I decided to put out some bank poles. I rigged up seven had some frozen shad for bait. Put them out at 1pm. Put my uniform on at 4:30pm (had to be at work 5pm) checked the poles already had an eater blue about 5lbs. Life is good!!
    :big_smile:

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    thats awesome earl!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It doesn't get much better than that. That is a lazy mans way of fishing.:big_smile:

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sure is great to just walk down to the water and see what mother nature had to offer from the night/day before :wink:.

I know when we go to the river camp every year (practically move in for the summer) it is sweet! Got ya alive box built, so when ever ya get a hankerin for fresh fish ya just pull it up and take yer pick, ahhh can't wait till March, LOL!
    Here is the view off the deck (on the Kaskaskia) usually has a bit more water than last year :wink:

5. Wapiti

Wapiti New Member

State:
    CobdenIllinois
    Hey Earl I didn't know you were a cat fan. Forrest and I go all the time in the summer but can't seem to figure the Muddy out for flatheads or blues. What is the secret?

6. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brother that is awesome...I am so thankful for you to finally get in your new place...Nice hearing from ya...

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  8. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Earl, Sounds like a great place you have there. Maybe we should have our next gathering at your place......lol

9. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I put a post on here last night but it dissapeared. I'll try again

Don pm me when it gets a little warmer, I'll show you and Forest some holes to fish. It really boils down to spending time on the river finding deeper holes with brush, or some sort of structure. I hardly ever fish a hole more than 20 or 30 minutes if nothing is happening. Athough in holes that I know are good, I might spend an hour or two. Fish rising water every time you can!

Thanks Paul we really love our new place, it has every thing we need.

Dean you know we could have a small gathering at our place, heck my work shop is 600 square feet. One of the better holes on the river is in my backyard. I'll be talking to you soon (we still haven't had breakfast with Mickey)
    :big_smile:

10. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    lotsa room & his wife puts on a mean breakfast !

11. Wapiti

Wapiti New Member

State:
    CobdenIllinois
    Earl,

Forrest and I will do that. We are back into the archery tournaments again. You probably didn't know Forrest took 4th in the Junior World Turnament in Mexico in October 2006. Since then he has been spending alot of time at the Olympic Training Facility in California training with te US Olympic coach. Eats up alot of our time but we fish whenever we can. Bowfishing the Big Muddy last summer was a hoot. We'll be in touch when it warms up. Thanks for the reply and the tips.

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    earl, do you think my boat is worthy of the southern part of the muddy near you? its a 14' jon with a 7.5 hp. there is a pic if you click on my profile.

13. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Buddy keeps me updated on Forrest. I ran into another shooter the other day can't remember her name (gettin senile) She told me about Forest.

Shane that boat will be fine as long as no big flooding occurs at the time.
    :smile2:

14. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Awesome Tonto. I bet you you had second thoughts about going to work after catching that Blue? Good job/