Big Muddy River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by 187um, May 5, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    just wonderin if anyone has been fishin big muddy i know the water is up so just checkin to see if anyone is fishin it and how the bite is goin?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Send a PM to Bethann/Tonto. He is the Big Muddy expert. In fact he lives next to it.

3. bigmuddy cruiser

bigmuddy cruiser New Member

State:
    il.
    we been doin really good on trot lines in the back waters. lots of big blues and a few smaller flats. biggest flat around 19lbs. had 4 blues over 50 ,thats all my scale goes to. not much luck in the main chanell . blue gill 4 bait . its a real pain gettin in and out though. jumpers aint bad YET. gettin back after them this weekend hopefully the water drops a little.:smile2:

4. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    well i have no boat so i am really limited to the places i can go. so how deep is normal for the muddy and what size sinkers work best? had problems with a 2 oz but they werent flat either probly the reason

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Running fast and high, 6-8 ounce might not be enough...... just depends we been using 8-10 to hold in the kasky in places..

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    when i went down there with tonto, we did best when it was up, fishing close to the bank around structure.

7. bigmuddy cruiser

State:
    il.
    currents not bad yet .look out when it falls out though. the muddy is hard 2 fish without a boat. there are a few places but not many. dont know what is normal for it. ive been fishing it 4 30 yrs and i aint seen normal yet.:smile2: ive lost alot of props to it so bee careful if u do get on it in a boat. 2oz. flat sinkers work fine most of the time but take some 4 and 6 oz just in case. good luck. i sure do love that river!

8. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    well with the recent storm i am sure the river is up even further but i wonder this --> last year i tried fishing it by the 149 bridge and got 1 channel the whole year made me wonder about it seen a lot of gar, so whats the average size for channels i have heard that rivers like the muddy the average is on the 2-4lb range is that about right? thats good eatin size. and my next question is if YOU were to fish from the bank what would you use, look for, and what kind of rig?

9. bigmuddy cruiser

State:
    il.
    go down 2 turkey bayou area. rattle snake ferry, big bayou. rt.3 bridge. all good bank fishin places. sonnys blood bait best channell bait ive found. dip worm with 1oz slip sinker. we fish 4 blues and flats mostly but the channells r fun when it gets slow. when its on ,1 pole is all u need. 2 to 4lbs. sounds fair but b ready for up to 10 to 15lbs. sometimes u may get one of them big blues on and u better b ready 4 a fight. all the places ive mentioned are down rt.3 area. if ur not familiar with it just head south on rt. 3 where 149 hits it . good luck :big_smile:

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how about lewis and clark from the bank with shad and sunfish

11. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    river above dam is down to summer pool right now but moving fast, 10oz atleast if near the current. above the dam will also be comeing back up 5 or 6'in the next 3 days, its been relatively clean for a few days but im sure the next few days it wiil be full of trash. below the dam is up way still and moveing fast, same deal if near the current 10oz atleast to stay still. thats what ive needed anyway, and that oughta be a decent spot, but i think they close it at dark do to the funny boys hangin out down there. lol

12. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    running by the house BMR all the way to mighty mississippi not more than that, but heavy rod & reel
    big uns are on this week & expect an update tomorrow cause Tonto is headed out with his "son" for a day without the women folk lol! Had a pretty good week last week caught several & failed to hook up on even more. Freezer needs restocked after affects of the hurricane that wasn't a few weeks back. I'll keep ya'll posted.

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    tell Earl and Jessie i said hi from jacksonville. hope you all are doing well.